VirtualBox

Sortieren nach

• Branche: Tiefbau

Eine gute Virtualisierungsmaschine

Bewertet am 2.2.2023

Durch die Einfachheit, aber komplexität hat man unbegrenzte Möglichkeiten. Zusätzlich hat man wegen der großen Community zum einen die Möglichkeit viele Hilfestellungen zu bekommen zum anderen da es OpenSource ist gibt es die Möglichkeit die Software auch weiterzuentwickeln.

Sie ist einfach gehalten, hat aber eine umfassende Auswahl von Einstellungen

Wenn man die Software nicht regelmäßig verwendet muss gefühlt jedes mal ein Update machen.

Francis Carolina
Francis Carolina
  • Weitere für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Everything you need to do software testing in a single workstation

Bewertet am 20.7.2018

In the organization in which I worked some time ago, all platforms were migrating to free software. As a geographer, I had to make expedited deliveries of maps and that platform was not yet stable, with Virtualbox, I could use traditional software to respond to requests from my bosses. Currently I'm still using Virtualbox but outside the business scope. At home my family enjoys playing video games from the time of our childhood and they can only be executed in windows 98. It could not be possible to have this hobby without VirtualBox.

What I like most is that tool is free, easy to use and functional. These characteristics is what makes software distinguish from other similar ones. I also want to highlight its functions, such as: It allows installing virtually any operating system such as Linux, Android, Mac OS X, Windows, Chrome OS, etc; unlike others in the market.
It is extremely easy to create an environment for testing of all kinds. In this way we will easily obtain a test environment completely isolated from the rest of the systems.
Virtual machines and virtualization allow to use a single service per virtualized server easily and simply. In this way, even if one of the virtualized servers is dropped, the other will continue to work. Finally, the fact of virtualizing servers or operating systems can mean significant savings in maintenance and energy consumption.

Directly on the software, I could not say that there is something that I do not like, it is quite efficient. The issue is, we must have a computer or workstation that is powerful, since, if we use 2 operating systems simultaneously we are using twice as many resources. In addition, it is also possible that sometimes operating systems and programs will run slower in virtual machines. This is because the virtual machines can not get an ideal performance of the hardware that we have in our team. The more powerful our computer is, the less you will notice the loss of performance.

Marc
  • Branche: Forschung

Thinking Outside the Box: Virtualization with VirtualBox

Bewertet am 7.4.2023

As someone who enjoys developing mobile games with Android but preferring Apple hardware, I've found VirtualBox to be an incredibly useful tool. It's saved me a lot of money by allowing me to test my games on multiple virtual environments without having to purchase additional hardware.Altogether, I would highly recommend VirtualBox to anyone looking to create and manage virtual environments, especially if you're interested in developing mobile games using different hardware, or if you are looking for a solid playground for your software projects.

I've found VirtualBox to be a powerful and versatile tool for developing Android apps and creating custom operating systems. It's flexibility and free-access allowed me to test my applications on multiple environments without having to purchase additional hardware, and thus saved me a lot of time and especially money!

As someone who has used VirtualBox for various projects, I've come across a few cons worth noting. Firstly, the limited support for 2D/3D graphics can be a hindrance for developers working on graphics-intensive applications like mobile-games. Secondly, I've experienced occasional stability issues when running complex virtual environments or multiple virtual machines simultaneously. However, these kind of issues can be resolved by using VirtualBox Enterprise for little money.

In Betracht gezogene Alternativen

Docker

Gründe für den Wechsel zu VirtualBox

From my personal experience, I find VirtualBox to be a better option compared to Docker for certain use cases. VirtualBox's ability to run multiple operating systems and applications simultaneously using hardware virtualization is a huge advantage over Docker's limited support for running a single application or service. Additionally, VirtualBox offers stronger isolation between virtual environments, making it a great option for running multiple applications with conflicting dependencies. While Docker has its own advantages, I still find VirtualBox to be a reliable and versatile virtualization tool that suits my needs especially because VirtualBox allows VDI access.
Mo'men
Mo'men

VirtualBox Review

Bewertet am 12.2.2019

My personal experience with it could be both satisfactory and disappointing, honestly. On the personal side, I'd say almost flawless, but on the professional side, it's not what I'd rely on, but again, you get what you pay for!

VirtualBox is open-source, easy and super fast to install and start, and it's free as well. It helps you test any OS in a few steps and switch between the operating systems you're running easily and swiftly. It's not exclusive to only one operating system.

If you just want to test operating systems and not go in-depth, VM VirtualBox would be okay. However, if you'd like to use it more in-depth, you'd find a few issues. Some computers do not allow the installation of a Virtual Machine software without changing the BIOS, and this, of course, isn't something everyone can do. Some features aren't supported without installing add-ons. Also, sound drivers aren't available. It takes a while to come up and if your computer isn't good on the specs side, you might have a laggy and slow experience. Changing the size of disk storage could be an issue, but such issued were paid attention to with newer versions (5.2). If you use the virtual OS you're running as a main drive or you rely on it for professional purposes, this could be a total disaster as you'd face countless network issues that'd hold you back. However, again, to be fair, these issues would be faced only if you go deep, but if you just run virtual OS for fun, or for simple usage, you'd have nothing to worry about.

• Unternehmensgröße: 10.000+ Mitarbeiter
  • Monatlich für 6-12 Monate genutzt

VirtualBox review

Bewertet am 4.12.2020

I am satisfied with VirtualBox, as it has proven itself more than reliable, especially during the long sessions of troubleshooting on my Virtual Machine.

Sometimes I tend to use VirtualBox for my Lab in order to replicate some issue reported by the Customer or to check certain settings in the Software which I support, because VirtualBox has proven itself as good and reliable in this field.

I don't like the amount of space which normal lab requires for daily use, especially because I need sometimes to switch between a couple of Virtual Machines on my company's laptop, which lacks disc space.

Josué
Josué
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 1 Jahr genutzt

The tool needed to virtualize and test software in secure environments

Bewertet am 3.11.2019

VirtualBox has allowed me to develop and test applications on different operating systems in a safe and controlled environment. It is really an excellent tool to develop all kinds of tests the idea of being able to virtualize any operating system and within being able to apply test settings verify its behavior and even more its compatibility with the system is fantastic. It is even ideal to test an operating system with some internal modification, as in my case a Linux distribution to which a modified kernel was implemented in which different types of tests were performed before placing it in production, It is definitely safe reliable and robust Therefore, I would not hesitate to recommend its use as a virtualization tool.

VirtualBox has the quality of virtualizing almost any operating system with excellent driver compatibility using VirtualBox from the versions where it was necessary to capture the mouse and keyboard to use it on the guest and then release them with the Ctrl key to use it on the host, and I can say that the development and constant updating by the community have made this a great virtualization software that has great driver support. and the most attractive point is that it is free and is backed by a great company such as Oracle, it is important to highlight that VirtualBox is an excellent tool for home virtualization because in the business field we have more specialized ones, an important extra is that once installed the host host, it is possible to obtain additional functionalities, such as clipboard sharing, drag & drop support and adaptation of the host screen to the size of the host even by resizing one of its excellent features lies in the possibility of customizing each machine to the required needs Hardware with CPU, Memory, storage among others. In the networks section, the configuration capacity that can be obtained due to its different network modes is excellent, such as: Bridge mode, NAT, Internal network, host-only and Not connected, this can be said to be a tool Very complete virtualization.

In some operating systems such as Linux, the configuration of the extras that allow us for example the auto resizing of the screen and the other features mentioned in the pro section can be complicated. Additionally there is a point that, although I would not consider it so much a negative aspect of the tool if it is necessary to mention, and it is the subject of the resources of the host team because of this the performance of the virtual machines will depend, and that is that the essence of virtualization, one needs many system resources to take full advantage of the host and virtual machine simultaneously and finally I can not fail to mention the inability to make changes to the hardware of the virtual machine running, otherwise it is a excellent tool that more than positive aspects prevail over negative ones.

Emre
Emre

Bridging Real and Virtual Worlds with VirtualBox

Bewertet am 27.9.2023

Overall, I am extremely pleased with VirtualBox. He can do everything that is expected of him and everything he promises, completely and properly.

What I like most about VirtualBox is that it can run smoothly and without burdening the local system. Besides, its free configurability is also a very nice thing.

I think my least favorite part is that sometimes there are points in the configuration settings that I have difficulty understanding.

Eric Emmanuel
Eric Emmanuel
  • Branche: Animation

Satisfied VirtualBox user

Bewertet am 23.10.2023

Easy to use/user's friendly, easy to access, great compatibility with most OS.

No negative comment, I am using this VirtualBox for several years now. It's very helpful

• Unternehmensgröße: 501–1.000 Mitarbeiter
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 1 Jahr genutzt

VirtualBox, a good choice for personal use.

Bewertet am 6.8.2023

I have been using VirtualBox for multiple years for virtualizing Kali Linux and Windows. Apart from some small solvable problem with KVM and hard to understand error message, this application is extremely useful in its feature and functionality.

I love the UI design in the most recent update, the easy to use settings and menus navigation. And by far the functionality I use most is creating a snapshot of a VM, this is very good for handling dangerous malware inside a Windows Virtual machine.

Some error messages are not very descriptive, and searching for those errors on the internet will not solve your problems. There should be a better way to deal with these work interrupting errors.

Raul Antonio
Raul Antonio
  • Branche: Musik
  • Täglich für Kostenlose Testversion genutzt

This is the perfect solution for operating system virtualization

Bewertet am 2.8.2023

Installation and setup was easy and hassle-free. The user interface is friendly and easy to navigate, which made it easy to create and manage my virtual machines. The flexibility it offers to customize the resources allocated to each virtual machine was also a plus as I was able to tailor it to my specific needs.

I really liked its ability to run multiple operating systems simultaneously on one machine. This is extremely useful for me as I can try and use different operating systems without having to reboot my computer or use separate virtual machines.

The initial configuration of the virtual machines can be a bit complicated for less experienced users. While the interface is mostly intuitive, there are some advanced options and settings that can be overwhelming for those new to virtualization.

Alex
Alex

VirtualBox Review

Bewertet am 24.11.2023

I love it, because it allows just with a few clicks, I can spin up virtual machines that mirror popular Android and iOS devices, complete with different screen sizes, resolutions, and operating system versions.

I've found VirtualBox's performance can be a bit sluggish, especially when testing more demanding mobile UI designs. Occasionally, I've experienced lag and responsiveness issues within the virtual machines, which can hinder the testing process.

Zhao
Zhao
  • Branche: Forschung

As a graduate student majoring in Computer Science, I use VirtualBox a lot to set up Ubuntu.

Bewertet am 8.2.2018

I pay nothing to gain all the functionalities that I need to implement my coursework and research experiment.

Although I am a Mac user, I can also install Windows on VirtualBox and use Office conveniently.

Firstly, VirtualBox is free. But it doesn't mean that it has bad quality. Its various features and functionalities are totally enough, especially for students to use for the academical purpose. I am using Ubuntu on VirtualBox to develop an Operating System kernel this semester. VirtualBox is the first recommendation by my professor.

My laptop is Mac OS and only has 4G memory. Since VirtualBox is lightweight and uses smaller memory than VMware, startup or shutdown of the virtual machine on my laptop is very fast, only a few seconds.

For students, VirtualBox initial settings are simpler than those on VMware. Most of the time, those settings have nothing to do with coursework or academic experiment. We usually use default values. Too many settings will distract our attention. So the simpleness of VirtualBox can help students focus on their coursework topic.

Compared to VMware, drag-and-drop functionality on VirtualBox is less convenient. Although we can do sequence settings on VirtualBox to make it support drag-and-drop functionality between host and virtual machine, it is time-consuming and easy to make mistakes to learn and implement these settings.

Amal
  • Unternehmensgröße: Selbstständig

VirtualBox makes virtualization effortless

Bewertet am 12.11.2023

Using VirtualBox on my desktop to run both Windows and Linux has been an incredibly enjoyable experience. It provided me with a seamless and efficient way to immerse myself in the world of Linux programming for an extended period. With VirtualBox, I effortlessly created and managed virtual machines, switching between Windows and Linux environments at will. This flexibility allowed me to work on diverse projects, develop, and test software in different operating systems, all within the convenience of a single machine. The user-friendly interface and ease of use made the transition between these environments a breeze, and the ability to snapshot and clone VMs simplified my development workflow. VirtualBox truly became my go-to tool for exploring the Linux realm while maintaining my Windows environment.

With VirtualBox, I can easily run both Windows and Linux on my computer as a virtualization solution that works seamlessly. With few resources, a test environment may be quickly and easily configured and operational. Also, lacks many of the complex and needless requirements that I have observed in other programs. The good thing about VirtualBox is that most users find it to be a cost-effective option because to its free license.

Regarding this product, I have nothing but positive things to say. Any problems I run into are simple to handle.

• Unternehmensgröße: 10.000+ Mitarbeiter

Virtualization in Minutes - Virtual Box

Bewertet am 19.5.2019

Overall VirtualBox servers the total purpose. It can be installated on any operating system, so no matter if your Server is sitting on Windows or Linux box, VirtualBox can be installed and used flawlessly without any powerful configurations. So if you have a Server which in turn is connecting to multiple different servers sitting at different sites at your organization, you can use VirtualBox to bring all the Servers in one instance and make the process more efficient and streamlined.

VirtualBox is a really lightweight but powerful virtualiztion software. It allows us to build machines within machines and interconnect each machine in a personalised manner of networking. It is helps hugely on Servers for creating minor servers within one parent server which facilitates the basic functioning of any Server. Additionally we can create multiple machines and run all of them at once considering cores of your base machine and each virtual machine will work as a dedicated system serving the purpose.

Support can be a con for this software. We can get a lot of open source/ public communities supporting this software but there is not formal teaching lessons/ vedios from Oracle explainig the functioning of this software in detail. So learning the software can consist of alot of reaching which eventually becomes frustating at times but overall you learn more when you research. But Oracle can publish some offical videos exolaning the software which will be a lot more helpful.

Angus
Angus
  • Branche: Logistik & Lieferkette

Great For Testing New Software and Virtualisation

Bewertet am 5.8.2022

VirtualBox is great, it was the first piece of virtualisation software that I started using, mainly to improve my companies security. We now open all unknown files within a VirtualBox machine, keeping our main environment secure. It's a great piece of software.

My favourite feature about VirtualBox is that it's a completely separate environment from your main Desktop, so if you were to run an infected piece of software, your main machine would be protected.

The software is pretty memory and processor hungry, it can often use a lot more resources than anticipated.

Pascual
  • Unternehmensgröße: 51–200 Mitarbeiter

Highlights in the daily use of VirtualBox

Bewertet am 16.6.2022

After having correctly configured the entire environment, its use becomes relatively simple. And the system is extremely stable, except for some occasions when the operating system and VirtualBox compete for hardware resources. In general, it works quite well and when you have enough memory and a good solid state drive, you won't have any problems with performance.

After being configured, putting it into operation is an extremely simple task. In this way, it is very easy to carry out activities that I could not do from macOS Catalina since I have several very important Windows applications that require this operating system to function. This allows me to cover 100% of the activities.

Sometimes it has been difficult to configure various external devices since having macOS Catalina and VirtualBox, both operating systems could compete with the existing resources, so for example, the device must be deactivated in macOS so that it can be seen from VirtualBox. Another example can be the configuration of the environment before running VirtualBox, which requires advanced computer knowledge to correctly parameterize the "Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager"

Jorge
Jorge
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

is a very practical application that allows to install additional operating systems within...

Bewertet am 7.3.2018

You can install several operating systems on a desktop, Hosts and cross-platform guests, including Windows, Linux and Oracle Solaris, and Mac OS X as host, has Teletransport of virtual machines running between hosts without interruption, has a high performance, supports loads of Massive work of up to 32 virtual CPUs and compatibility with OVF format.

It is an open source software compatible with a large number of guest operating systems, its versatility makes it compatible with x86 / amd64 architectures, it is an application that allows to install additional operating systems, known as "guest systems", within another system operative "host", each with its own virtual environment. In terms of hardware emulation, the hard disks of the guest systems are stored in the host systems as individual files in a container called Virtual Disk Image, incompatible with the other virtualization softwares.

they add great complexity to the system at runtime. The main disadvantage of the virtual machine, is that in the application of some process will have the effect of the slowness of the computer, that is, the computer in which this process is running must have a quite remarkable capacity must be of great capacity or powerful. The languages based on virtual machine, have a disadvantage is that they are actually slower than fully compiled languages, due to the overload generated by having an intermediate software layer between the application and the computer hardware, however, This limitation does not it's too critical.

sumit
sumit
  • Unternehmensgröße: 501–1.000 Mitarbeiter

Oracle Virtual Box Review

Bewertet am 3.12.2018

It’s a very good experience to work on Virtual Box

It’s a very good experience to work on Virtual Box

1) It allows to create virtual machine of any OS. 2) It allows to change settings for every single virtual machine. 3) We don’t need to create servers for testing purposes as the virtual machine provides the same functionality. 4) It does not limit the user for using it.

1) Installation process takes very time. 2) On some computers, one must allow virtualisation through bios to create Virtual Machine. 3) There is no copy and paste option in virtual machine. For that we need to open session in putty. 4) Sound Drivers are not present and even we do have full screen size for virtual machine.

PHANEENDRA
  • Unternehmensgröße: 1.001–5.000 Mitarbeiter
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Free virtualization software to work on multiple OS with decent feature set

Bewertet am 22.8.2018

The VirtualBox software overall performance is low compared to other proprietary application like parallel and VMware on Mac. Also the performance is slow on computer hardware few years old, as the virtualisation support is recently added in recent intel processors. But the performance and configuration issues can be ignored for the free nature of software and with the hope that future versions will offer better.

I find VirtualBox to be very useful to install and use various Linux distros on my windows/Mac OS laptops.
Before the virtualization software improved, dual OS installation is the only option and its risky and may run into cases where we need to reformat the whole hard drive thereby end-up losing data.

The completely and opensource nature of VirtualBox helps in saving money to business.

With recent improvement there are many features being added to VirtualBox, shared folders and shared clipboard which greatly enhance the usability when running in emulated OS.

Also since the hard drive emulation is supported in multiple formats, the hard drive files can be shared with team members.

The major con in my experience with VirtualBox is with the USB data transfer speed as USB 2 is not widely supported in VirtualBox. Although this can be worked around copying files to shared folder of host OS.

The guest addition component installation and configuration to get full features is a pain and needs some googling.

• Branche: Informationstechnologie & -dienste
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

A sandbox where nothing can go wrong

Bewertet am 10.11.2019

VirtualBox is my choice when I need to test software in different OS, also it's great to give it a try to the myriad of OS out there without ruining our computer. If you are something that likes playing with fire (but safely) then VirtualBox is for you.

As a software developer and a geek by nature, it's quite common to ruin my whole workstation because I was playing with something I wasn't supposed to do. Imagine that your project is delayed because you tried to emulate a super old game on your PC, not cool. With VB I can safely play with any and multiple operative systems and install dangerous software, just for fun. It's great to be able to virtualize any Linux distro out there before really installing it on my computer, it also helps with getting used to a new OS before switching to it. VB is simple and easy to use, you can go a long way just with the default settings and it will setup your virtual machine based on the OS you pretend to install.

It's not necessarily a VB problem but about virtualization in general, I run my virtual machines on 4GB of RAM and my host machine can be really slow when running the virtual machine, it's important to know that to fully enjoy the benefits of virtualizations and run virtual machines smoothly we need a decent video card and more RAM. Besides my poor setup, VB runs incredibly well.

• Unternehmensgröße: 51–200 Mitarbeiter

The easiest way of running multiple operating systems on one device

Bewertet am 13.12.2021

VirtualBox has made it easier for me to test applications without actually installing them on my machine. If I make a mistake configuring the system on my virtual machine, I can easily fix it without ruining my host machine. It also allows me to run applications that are not compatible with the operating system that I mainly use. I totally recommend it to anyone who is new to virtualization.

I can run a different operating system without replacing the one I already have. For example, I run Windows OS on my laptop but for school and work purposes I need to use Linux. Instead of permanently switching an OS, I just use VirtualBox to install the other OS needed. It is very easy to install and use even for a beginner who has never used virtual machines before. It allows you to allocate different specifications for your virtual machines depending on how much RAM your device has. The number of virtual machines you can have all depends on the memory of your device.

It uses a lot of disk space. If the VirtualBox is installed on a device with low specifications, it starts lagging behind and the machine takes too long to boot.

Fernando
Fernando
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Easy to use and reliable virtualization solution.

Bewertet am 15.8.2018

It has been of big help in my work, it saves me so much time because I only need to create a virtual machine and setup the VPNs once. After that I can just copy the virtual disk files to another machine if I need (when I change my laptop or restore a backup). This is great!

You can create many virtual machines very easily. I use it to setup Virtual Private Networks (VPNs) so they don't affect my host computer setup. VPNs can be very problematic sometimes, and can mess up with your host's network setup, so Virtual Machines are a good way to deal with them. Virtual Box makes this experience much better, it has so many features like the Seamless viewing method and cursor integration that sometimes you don't care if you are using a virtual machine or your host machine, it seems to be the same. You have a great control of the machine execution and parameters, so you can fine tune it the way you like.

The updating method is manual, it checks automatically and tells you that a new version is available but you need to download and install it separately. Maybe it could be improved by being another configuration among many others, so you can choose between "update automatically" or "manual update". But I guess this is even a security measure, so this is not a big con.

Frédéric
  • Unternehmensgröße: 2–10 Mitarbeiter

A second computer in your computer

Bewertet am 3.1.2021

Goood, i use it to test many created by my own web apps and other major software that can affect my own windows ....The independant layer from the host operating system is very usefull

The possibility to boot a old windows or other exploitation system like dos or server software..

No convert tools , like vmware convert to convert your old pc in a new virtual to use fastly and by remote or locally on your computer.

• Unternehmensgröße: 5.001–10.000 Mitarbeiter

Virtual Computers For Studies

Bewertet am 30.11.2019

Overall virtual box helps me a lot to have virtual PCs to try and test different kind of networking, security or software things without harming my real computer system.

As an undergraduate student I always try new things to implement in systems. So I need a test environment to run those new things without harming real world software or hardware on that point VirtualBox comes in handy. With the use of VirtualBox I can create virtual windows, linux or mac PCs and run my tests on those virtual machines. It is very easy to setup virtual systems on VirtualBox and the software is free to use so anyone who need a good software to create a virtual machine this software comes in handy.

When its come to the performance, sometime time we feel the loss of hardware accelerated performance on the virtual PC. When we try to run two or more virtual PCs our real world PC's performance may be not enough to have a flawless operation. When need to manage few networks interfaces sometime I got issues that I could not resolve.

Max
Max
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Great free tool for development sandbox work on local machine

Bewertet am 15.5.2019

This is a must have tool for every software developer to have on their local machine. You don’t want to be testing code on your production machine, but rather in a sandbox environment. This gives a free way to have access to another machine without going through IT or other roadblocks. You can easily make images, save versions and share with others with this tool. There are a lot of images out there that you can load on your machine to try out like Kali Linux. Virtual Box is a great must have tool.

This tool is a great, must have free development tool for software development work. When you are building a piece of software virtualization is the best way to work on it and flush out the kinks. With Virtual Box you can easily save versions/images and share with others. You can work on your software on your local machine without having to go through IT or portals to set up a dev box and you if something breaks you can revert back an image. Great tool.

Don’t expect to run a business critical application on this software. That is more for a hypervisor like Windows Hypervisior or VMWare ESXi or similar. The setup to get this running as a network appliance can be hard too, so if you are doing development work on something that needs port access to the VM is hard to configure.