• Funktionen
Melanie E.
  • Branche: Marketing & Werbung

My Go to Print Layout Choice For Years

Bewertet am 8.9.2018

I've been using Quark for so long now that I find it hard to imagine using anything else. At a client's encouragement - and because they owned the software - I did try Scribus but for me it just did not have the same feel or great function that Quark has so after a few hours experimentation I politley delined to keep using it and went back to what I know (and achived excatly what they were looking for anyway)

Since I first used this software in college (which was more than a while ago) although it has changed and evolved in my opinion it has never stopped being the best layout creation tool there is. I've used it over the years professionally across all kinds of projects and niches and even personally to create materials for the kids' soccer teams etc. And customer service always has been truly top notch, something that is increasingly rare these days.

The newer Adobe integrations can be annoying and for my purposes not that helpful. Yes, there are days when I wish it had never happened but not to the point that I will actively go looking for something else as an alternative.

Chadsey L.

I wish it were like it used to be, simple...reliable...the best.

Bewertet am 20.1.2018

Good sleep, less stress, a peaceful work week..... Oh I thought you said benefits from using this software.

First, their customer support for this product is incredible. Hands down some of the best people working with this company, and knowledgable. There is also an online community behind this software that is wonderful and can usually get you where you want to go if you need help. Also the facebook group continues to grow and thrive and the company is pretty involved with keeping the quark world up to date on progress and resources.
Ok the software is pretty wonderful and through the years we continue to choose Quark for book/media publishing over other products that we use more frequently day to day with other media because Quark just has always gotten the job done and done well. That still is the case for a couple specific purposes, like brochure and booklet printing, we use Quark for because most of the tools throughout the years have remained the same. And they make simple what other products cause hair-loss over.
Quark not being a subscription based media creation software is the bee's knees!! And the ability and power of all the software can do for the price is pretty great!!

Over the years, they have tried to do too much in too little of time to compete but they have failed short. In the past Quark was an incredible software and the value was through the roof, but sadly that is not the case anymore. Focusing on becoming a software for producing cross-platform media and new media has taken away from their bread and butter of being the go to software for book and print media publishing over the years. The tools available, advancements and attention to their original staples of print publishing have lacked. PDFs are an area serious attention needs to be given, without having to purchase or use 3rd party integrations. Yearly updates should not have to be purchased or at least discounted much more significantly, especially considering the incompatibility of working between different years of Quark. Saving to a previous version is a must, that I which would come back, without expensive 3rd party software.

Russell K.
  • Branche: Bankwesen
  • Untern. Größe: 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter

Quark is bittersweet but can’t compete with Indesign

Bewertet am 4.12.2018

I’ve used quarkxpress for over ten years, longer than any other single piece of software. I converted to indesign kicking and screaming because of how different the workflow was because I was so picky. If you’re just starting out, I’d suggest you look at indesign. If you’re picking up someone else’s work, you can almost everything indesign can do quark can do too.

After Apple’s Pages application, it is the easiest and simplest major print design software out there that you can use fairly intuitively if you’ve used a computer graphics program before. Just watching some tutorials online you can easily edit other people’s work fairly easily without much training.

The second best feature of quark is the powerful xtentions that exist out there on the market. Other programs had this too but quark was the first to do this. Xtentions really streamlined and automated a lot of repetitive design tasks like updating prices and phone numbers (xcatalog).

It lacks full transparency gradients and doesn’t have adequate photo layering capabilities like opacities and layer modes. It also lacks a wysiwyg font menu so you can’t see they style of the font you’re using until you select it and enter some type. Quark is also a bit unstable at times. Prone to crashes.

Desktop publishing With QuarkXpress

Bewertet am 26.5.2019

I use Quarkexpress in small projects because of its user-friendly features.

Ever since it was released in 1987 QuarkXPress has dominated the Desktop Publishing.
I use Quarkexpress because when its come to page layout it is the best one out there because of its simplicity.its text tools are very user-friendly and lets you get the job done very quickly and efficiently.
Also, QuarkXPress supports more printers than any other desktop publishing software.

There is not much not to like about QuarkXpress.
Maybe PDF exports could be easier in the future

Henry D.
  • Untern. Größe: 11-50 Mitarbeiter

simple and fast, functions that go straight to the point when designing

Bewertet am 22.5.2018

I can make a newspaper page in just 10 minutes, because of the ease of handling the palette of styles and predesigned templates in a window, the QPS function for me is great for assigning press releases to journalists easily and quickly. equally the way to create the styles is quite easy

It is horrible that this program suddenly closes for no reason, both in mac and pc, I do not know if it is because it requires a lot of memory, because I also do not like it to be quite heavy, and when handling many jpeg files the interface becomes slow , so I'm forced to do it some time in several documents. The way I manage bitmaps does not please me very much.

Angel G.
  • Branche: Computer-Software
  • Untern. Größe: 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter

QuarkXPress

Bewertet am 8.11.2018

QuarkXPress is a great product. I would recommend it to anyone working in the creative field. It can be use for print and digital design. I use the product to create advertisements, collateral, packaging, flyers, success stories, white papers, guides, spec sheets, interactive PDFs, and so on.

Easy to use. Has lots of features. Integrates well with Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator. Love that you can create digital and interactive files.

Some features are hard to find. Would like to see more training available.

• Branche: Grafikdesign

I use QuarkxPress for all my print marketing materials.

Bewertet am 2.4.2018

I really like the software ease of use and even with updates that core elements stay the same. I find it easy to create the layout I need without all the extra tools and setting found in some other software.

I do find the software slow to load and I do have frequent crashes. I also find it does not use all the fonts and font weights that my system has, that I know work within Photoshop for example.

Silusweyinkosi M.
  • Untern. Größe: 201-500 Mitarbeiter

QuarkXPress Review

Bewertet am 28.7.2020

It's a software that most magazines, newspapers, and publications use to package their content.

The software has tools that are simple to use when one designs news pages, magazines, and other graphics. it allows one to show creativity in order to come up with eye-catching designs.

The lasso tools are rather difficult to use and can be improved.

• Branche: Fluggesellschaften/Luftfahrt
  • Monatlich für Mehr als 1 Jahr genutzt

QuarkXpress is Solid Publishing Software

Bewertet am 8.9.2020

really powerful. great solution for publishing marketing pieces that will be viewed on PDF, but works equally good for web based or printed.

powerful features. you can control layout of virtually anything you want to print or publish on paper/screen/web etc.

the features are so powerful they're hard to learn, the volume of features is hard to absorb. There are tutorials but where to start

Ale R.
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

We use it this product for years but we have to switch

Bewertet am 25.2.2019

Amazing we use it for years, but we have to change to more modern product can solve the current workflow of digital/print media

Quarkxpress was the standart for printing. we really love it, we use it for make books, and magazines. Is relative easy to use (not easy but kind that) and get results.

If you go for make prints books, is amazing... but if you work in print and digital media... well is gonna be a pain.

The big issue is QuarkXPress dont adapt to the "new standards", like make books for prints and digitals with all the formats (epub, kdp, and other) for all the markets.

So you have remake the book for digital, other products save that more time because offer a solution to that problem

Also the pricing is very expensive, they should try to find another model

In the last 5-10 years they lost the market because of that. I hope QuarkXPress get it because we love it

Simon F.
  • Untern. Größe: Selbstständig

Still number one in my opinion

Bewertet am 15.3.2019

Having used Quark since version 3, (that's early 90's on a IIx) I've grown up with it. Does pretty much everything I need it to do as a final platform for print. It's ease of use and the fact they haven't diddled around too much with its core functionality is a blessing. Never had any problems with getting work printed using Quark. Over the years I've used multiple platforms, individually and combined, in designing specifically for print. Have used Indesign. It's OK, but see no reason to change. Try to avoid subscription software these days. Now use Affinity Photo and Draw in place of Adobe stuff which quark works with without issue.

Does everything I need it to do in design for print.
Accurate, fast, reliable and a very powerful bit of kit and that's all that matters in my book.

Not many. The tables function could be a bit more friendly regarding basic editing.
Updates are a bit expensive for the frequency which they offer them.
I miss the little alien, they could bring that back, a little bit of stress relief I miss!

Sharon B.

Makes my job easy

Bewertet am 24.7.2019

I started with Quark Xpress back in the the late 1980's with a box of floppies. Took two hours to install on a Mac Classic. I had no instructions, just the box and the computer. My boss had traded it from a design company that owned him money. So, I am self-taught. But, I have been a faithful user ever since. I have work at print shops, newspapers all over the country and all have used Quark. I actually got fired from a job designing magazines because I wouldn't change over to InDesign when they decided it was a better program. So, I went out on my own, and never looked back. Here we are Quark 2019, 30 years later, not quite so simple to use, but still the best typesetting software available.

I use Quark in design magazine daily. And it's so easy to set up templates for any job I am gettin ready to do. And I can import InDesign files, pdf, and most other files into my program.

Cost is getting a little out of hand. Seems like each year they are wanting me to pay so I can get an upgrade.

Robin I.
  • Untern. Größe: Selbstständig

If Quark were a man, I'd marry him.

Bewertet am 31.7.2019

I have used Quark for everything from business card design to websites. I especially like using it for layout on coffee table books.

I love everything about QuarkXPress. I've been using Quark since 1990 and also taught Quark for a few years. There is an elegance to the way Quark works that is missing in other page layout software. It was set up by graphic designers for graphic designers. Even though I own Adobe Creative Suite, I prefer to use Quark for print and web projects.

There is nothing that I dislike about Quark. Even if I run into a snag or problem I am able to find a solution easily with the Quark HELP feature or on their website.

Nina J.
  • Branche: Bildungsmanagement
  • Untern. Größe: 201-500 Mitarbeiter

Quark User

Bewertet am 1.8.2019

Designing calendars, flyers, newsletters and many more graphic publications is a breeze with Quark Express

User friendly!!! The software is like a desk and the many applications are similar to items on that desk. You can easily drag any item to the place you desire. Open boxes for pictures, text etc are so easy and functional. I love this software. Frequent updates which make the products even more so wonderful.

Need to upgrade my Apple computer as it is not compatible when the software is updated as frequent as it does. It becomes compatible with a new computer OS.

• Branche: Design

I've used this product for years and love the ease of designing with it.

Bewertet am 5.6.2018

I can create my design projects just the way I want them to be because it offers many options and is easy to use.

The many options it offers for layout, working with type and images. I love the Collect for Output, get's everything in one place. Resizing pages when needed, the gradations, the HTML options are great. I have found Quark much easier to use than InDesign.

I'd have to say the cost, it's expensive for a stand-alone product. Because of the high price I am very slow to upgrade to newer version. Which makes for a bigger learning curve when I do upgrade.

Steve R.
  • Branche: Onlinemedien
  • Untern. Größe: 2-10 Mitarbeiter

A great way to build pages for newspaper production

Bewertet am 30.7.2018

It's the best program for page production, bar none.

Quark is a great way to put together newspaper pages. It's easy to design award-winning, sharp pages, and I have won multiple industry awards using Quark. There are so many useful functions that assist the page builder, and it's a fast program once all the nuances are learned.

Very few cons, maybe the most being that it tends to crash occasionally. But sometimes it crashes more on different computers, so it may not be a total problem with the program.

Meshell T.
  • Branche: Verlagswesen
  • Untern. Größe: 11-50 Mitarbeiter

Quark after using InDesign for about ten years

Bewertet am 30.10.2019

Laying out ads and pages for our newspaper is very easy in Quark.

Very easy to transition to after using InDesign for about ten years. Layout is very easy. The keyboard shortcuts are easy to learn as well.

There are times that files imported from Illustrator do some strange things when you export the Quark file to a pdf.

• Branche: Bildungsmanagement
  • Untern. Größe: 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Great to Use for Marketing Materials!

Bewertet am 29.7.2019

I used this software regularly at my previous job, and really enjoyed it. I was able to create beautiful advertisements for print, fairly easily. I was able to teach myself how to use it also. When it comes to design software, this is user friendly.

It is kind of outdated. These days, people tend to look for Adobe software proficiency. It is a great stepping stone to Adobe.

Lonnie M.
  • Branche: Medienproduktion
  • Untern. Größe: 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Quark makes page design simple

Bewertet am 25.10.2019

I've used Quark for 20 years, and although the version we have is pretty outdated, it still gets the job done with relative ease.

There are a variety of tools to accomplish exactly what you need. Options allow you to modify text and photos and to set up pages of all kinds of sizes.

Some of the shortcuts codes involve three or more buttons, which can be difficult to remember, thus nullifying their purpose.

Jonathan H.
  • Branche: Essen & Trinken
  • Untern. Größe: 51-200 Mitarbeiter

Some nice features, but lacking many. Rickety user experience

Bewertet am 14.1.2019

We were able to get our project done (a technical user manual). QuarkXPress had the features we needed to get the job done, but some of QuarkXPress's limitations negatively impacted the end product. As a former InDesign user, InDesign has all the features that QuarkXPress has, plus more options and control. The QuarkXPress interface is buggy and frankly feels unfinished. I am shocked that a software that began in the 80s and dominated the market at one point is so low quality. I've used freeware that felt more polished and reliable.

Nice abstraction features like paragraph and character styles so you can change a style once and QuarkXPress updates your whole document. Master pages are very useful for streamlining the creation of a large document (we used it to automatically show chapter headings on every page of a user manual). 60 days of free tech support is a nice perk.

Design flaws in software are a constant obstacle. Can't open multiple projects at once, makes transferring things to a new project a huge pain. Table of contents automation lacks customization. Scrolling on a page with 15-20 elements is slow on a modern computer. I call customer support asking for help to get Table styles to work, and they respond that Table styles just don't work on some tables and I have to live with it. User interface hides itself when window is out of focus for no reason, infuriating when trying to follow a tutorial in a web browser. Undo operations frequently crash the program. Anytime you click on one of the palettes in the side bar, the whole user interface goes into a mini-seizure and flashes light and dark. Exporting PDF has no progress bar, the software just goes "not responding" for 10-20 minutes so you have no idea how long you will have to wait. The support community is sparse and their help forum confirmation email didn't send even after requesting new ones, so I wasn't able to join and ask questions.

Chris T.
  • Branche: Hochschulbildung
  • Untern. Größe: 501-1.000 Mitarbeiter
  • Weitere für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Used to be my page layout go-to, but has become an every-now-and-then instead

Bewertet am 16.3.2018

Until Adobe InDesign overtook the market, Quark was the king of layout software. If it weren't for InDesign within Adobe Creative Cloud, Quark would still be perfectly acceptable and user-friendly to meet layout and desktop publishing needs.

I like the fairly straight-forward interface and ease of use after you familiarize yourselves with a few tutorials and hands-on layout projects. Improvements and updates throughout the years have allowed Quark to still have a foothold in layout software, despite the Adobe InDesign market takeover. Being a subscription based service is a plus, since I don't find myself needing to use Quark as often as I used to.

The features and functionality simply haven't been able to match or overtake InDesign's capabilities. Doesn't work as seamlessly with Photoshop and Illustrator the way InDesign does.

Great product

Bewertet am 19.2.2019

QuarkXPress is a great tool to have. Our company uses it for page design and it was easy to learn and master. We also recently used it for a book design.

It will sometimes lock up and close out on its own, losing any unsaved changes. It can be very frustrating. It happens on several computers, so we're not sure if it is our server or the program causing the issue.

Dia din K.

Quark

Bewertet am 24.2.2020

I'm using Quark to easily output print jobs to our computer copier.

I can output my jobs easily and effectively using the step and repeat and convert to pdf options. It's also fast.

I least like that it starts up slower than usual for older versions of the software. I also am not too cool with it not having the mail merge option

Lonnie M.

Good program

Bewertet am 12.7.2018

It's a simple common-sense program that typically can be picked up by a new user quickly because it relates to many other commonly used software programs.

Quark XPress makes designing pages simple. It allows users to efficiently create the looks they want to achieve.

Some of the shortcuts are a little complicated but even those you get used to after using the program for a while.

• Branche: Verlagswesen
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 1 Jahr genutzt

QuarkXPress

Bewertet am 9.5.2019

Overall QuarkXPress does what I need and does it well.

QuarkXPress is an easy to use interface with a variety of tools and options that enables the user to create well crafted designs for a wide variety of platforms. You have full control over elements of the design and can incorporate a plethora of different elements. With their conversion and simple importing you can work on a variety of filetypes and incorporate many elements into a piece.

Although the user interface is pretty intuitive and simple - it is very outdated. The design of the program doesn't hold up to the designs it can produce. This design of the program can be off putting and visually tiring/harsh. There's also the unfortunate fact that Adobe has more options and capabilities that QuarkXPress doesn't which leads me back to alternate programs.