Affinity Photo

Jeremy B.
  • Branche: Schreiben & Editieren

Gotta Get Them All, Part Two

Bewertet am 30.9.2021

I’ve already said plenty in my review for Affinity Designer that I’d repeat here, and to clarify, I have many good things to say. But to expand on my glowification of this software and this brand, I love having access to a competent photo design tool that gives me unlimited use of layers, effects, fancy brushes, useful warping tools, filters, filters, and more filters, connections to free stock photo sites (even if they did end integration with Unsplash to save on costs), and even smart images for mock-up designs, all without having to pay for it twice, three times, four times, or whatever the going price is for other premium design tools made by companies that start with the letter A. I’m a writer, not a graphic designer. But with as much as I use Affinity Photo these days, I’m starting to wonder if that statement is still true. Love this app, love this brand, and I happily support any product they make, including and especially Affinity Photo.

To echo what I wrote in the pros section of my review for Affinity Designer, the main reason I bought this was for its integration with Affinity Publisher. I’m a writer, and I develop my own books, and I wanted a tool that could help me make them without a costly subscription. In my search for an alternative to Adobe InDesign, I found Affinity Publisher, and that search also led me to its two siblings, Photo and Designer. Having the ability to use Photo’s tools within an app for designing publishing interiors seemed like a no-brainer for me. But that only mattered if I’d actually bought Photo. So I did. And now I use it more than any other tool in my development library. It’s so easy to use, yet has so many tutorials available that even those who find it difficult at first can figure it out soon enough. It has also effectively replaced Corel’s PaintShop Pro as my go-to for inexpensive photo compositing. It’s become the primary reason my book covers look any good now. And the website I’ve been working on since November of last year: all page images come from composites made with Affinity Photo, and my site couldn’t look any better. Affinity Photo makes me look good, and I have no hair. If that’s not enough reason to get it, then the low one-time cost should seal the deal.

Again, to reiterate my cons from Affinity Designer (and this is fair because they both use the same architecture and share many of the same interface tools), I’m not experienced enough with even higher-end products (like Adobe Photoshop, for example) to make claims about the features they offer that Affinity Photo doesn’t. That said, I do know what I want Photo to do that it can’t do, and what I want it to do is to import Photoshop “actions,” which I think are just macros, so that I can buy the good ones off Design Cuts or some other online design resource and use them in my photos. In other words, I want it to do what Adobe Photoshop can do, but so far it can only do about 80%. That’s plenty, but it’s not everything. I want everything. I also want a pizza. We can’t have everything. (But I can have a pizza.)

Goran S.
  • Branche: Freizeit, Reisen & Tourismus

My favorite software

Bewertet am 4.5.2021

I switched to Affinity Photo at the beginning of the 2020 when they offered a three month trial. After the trial I happily bought Photo (and Publisher and Designer even though I didn't really need them at the time) because I learned to love it more than I ever loved Adobe Photoshop that I switched from. Affinity Photo is the single best photo editing program and I will recommend it to everyone I come in touch with. Switch to Affinity and save hundreds of dollars a year!

My favorite part of Affinity software is that it is as capable as Photoshop but does not feel cheap like some other alternatives. It feels very well through through and the menus are all in the right places. The UI is comparable to Photoshop and it is very easy to make the switch. They even support .psd files in case you want to switch your current project over.

I use it to make graphics for the videos I make, and to touch up photos I take. In both aspects, Affinity is a champion.

Affinity Photo is the reason I don't bleed money on overly expensive programs that I only use a tiny portion of. It is inexpensive, reliable, and has all the features I ever needed!

I would really want more customization options for key bindings. My drawing tablet does not support the current hotkeys well, but that's not only on Affinity but on the tablet manufacturer as well.

In Betracht gezogene Alternativen

Krita

Warum Affinity Photo gewählt wurde

Adobe Photoshop is an incredibly expensive solution. They have their software bundled and offer it only on subscription model. Affinity is not only cheap but is a one-time payment only.

Zuvor genutzte Software

Adobe Photoshop

Gründe für den Wechsel zu Affinity Photo

Krita seemed to be geared more towards digital drawing and I needed a solid photo manipulation app.
Barbara P.
  • Branche: Architektur & Planung
  • Wöchentlich für 6-12 Monate genutzt

Affinity Photo offers a complete toolset with a fair pricing model

Bewertet am 8.6.2021

I use Affinity Photo to edit rendered images generated on 3D modeling programs and to draw images later to be used on animations. I add lighting to scenes, work on composition, edit bright, contrast, blur, add some effects, use brushes and fonts to create original designs and art to social media. It offers a wide usage possibility with professional tools.

Affinity Photo offers a complete and professional toolset on photo editing and has competitive pricing that makes it the best choice when it comes to benefit-cost analysis. The software is available to all platforms and devices, including Windows Store (even though it was first made to Mac platforms.). After a single purchase, you own the software and can use it until it is discontinued by Affinity, which is a fair model of pricing to users that's not done by major competitors. Instead, other companies charge users monthly to get a license to use their product, which makes their product far more expansive than Affinity Photo. The choice of charging only once for their product is a very good reason people are migrating to Affinity, especially new users and students who can't afford a never-ending monthly payment.

Getting used to Affinity Photo's interface was a confusing process, it could be more intuitively friendly to beginners and users who changed from another product. Maybe adding a tutorial or some sort of guide would help with that problem.

• Branche: Kunst & Handwerk

Professional Quality, Budget Friendly Alternative to Photoshop

Bewertet am 31.8.2021

I can edit photos, create and manipulate graphic designs, as well as create SVG files for custom cut files.

As a long time Photoshop user I was looking for a replacement which would offer me a product with comparable features. Affinity exceeded my expectations and is offered at an amazing price point. Instead of paying a monthly fee I was able to purchase a lifetime license for all the functionality I needed plus some!

I wish there was a more active support after purchase. While there are videos on youtube, I ended up purchasing the Affinity Photo Workbook (hardcover) to use as a reference. Well worth it and still substantially less expensive than Photoshop.

In Betracht gezogene Alternativen

Adobe Photoshop

Warum Affinity Photo gewählt wurde

I had an old version of Photoshop and was going to have to switch to the monthly subscription. I didn't want to get stuck with a monthly expense so I began looking for an alternative. Affinity came highly recommended by a colleague.

Gründe für den Wechsel zu Affinity Photo

All the features I needed for a one time price rather than an unending monthly expense.
Matthew E.
  • Branche: Informationstechnologie & -dienste
  • Untern. Größe: Selbstständig

Affinity is a legitimate Photoshop competitor at a fraction of the price and no ongoing costs.

Bewertet am 28.7.2021

Affinity Photo is a competent alternative to Adobe Photoshop, and one that does so with a cheap initial purchase price and no ongoing subscription costs. I have found that everything I have needed to do in Photoshop can be done in Affinity, however sometimes the workflow is slightly different so taking a short training course it's definitely worth it.

Affinity seems a lot faster and less buggy than Photoshop in a lot of areas. There are also some places in which Affinity Photo is better than Photoshop. For example, Affinity gives a preview of the effect the tool selected will do to the image so you can get it perfect before committing to any modifications. Additionally, having separate personas that you choose depending on what you wish to do to the image helps cut down on clutter and allows you to focus better.

I haven't experienced any issues with the software, with the only negative being that if you are accustomed to another piece of software it can take some time to adjust. It can be difficult to find tutorials, and unless you are willing to pay money for a course there is a lot of trial and error.

Tony C.

A Dream Come True

Bewertet am 20.6.2021

I love how each of the Affinity applications work together. I seamlessly move from Designer to Photo and back.

Affinity Photo offers tremendous value. It is on par with Photoshop in all essential features, and surpasses Photoshop in many features. I love that it has a simple help feature that assists in using each tool. The absolute best feature? The wide assortment of export options.

Affinity could do a better job in promoting add-ons and feature extensions. I use Photo for work and hobby and I didn't realize it could be used masterfully for astrophotography until I saw a video online.

• Branche: Gesundheit, Wellness & Fitness
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Give up that monthly subscription

Bewertet am 15.4.2021

I switched to Affinity after trying numerous image editing software options that would get me away from the monthly subscription model. Affinity best met 95% of the requirements I was looking for and over time I've discovered other ways to get it to do what I want. It's great for creating flyers, ads, and graphics to use on FB, Twitter, and Instagram

It's so easy to use once you get over the learning curve. Even after 2 years I am still discovering more and more things that I thought were not possible with this software

There is a bit of a learning curve and some features do not work as I'd expect. I would also like other things implemented (adjustiblity per layer,etc) but I also understand that for the price point that's not something they are in a hurry to implement

Affordable Photoshop Alternative

Bewertet am 13.9.2021

I love how Affinity Photo has all of the features that a graphic designer needs to succeed. It has features comparable to that of Photoshop, but it's more affordable.

I have some issues with patterns. Sometimes there will be a thin line between two objects in a repeating pattern. I looked up the solution to it, but it would be nice if this wasn't an issue at all. It's a minor issue, but still an issue nonetheless.

Marie C.
  • Branche: Verlagswesen
  • Monatlich für Mehr als 1 Jahr genutzt

Photoshop Replacement

Bewertet am 27.7.2021

I like that I can do the basics of Photoshop within this application.

There is a bit of a learning curve to figure out how to do all the things I was used to doing in Photoshop. The "personas" are a bit confusing for me but I am able to get done what I need to as a cover designer.

• Branche: Computer-Software

Looking to try Photoshop? Use this instead

Bewertet am 31.8.2021

If you are a business heavily invested in Adobe, the cost of switching may not be worth it. For everyone else, Affinity can save you insane amounts of money. As a casual photographer, I did not rely on many of Adobe's enterprise-oriented features (and related price tag). I got it on discount, but even at normal pricing, Adobe cannot compete for casual users.

The photoshop-like interface made it easy to switch over as a casual user with very little learning curve

Having to update by downloading an EXE from a website rather than having an app like Creative Cloud desktop is an annoyance

Johnny K.

Affinity Photo

Bewertet am 9.7.2021

I use almost image work with Affinity Photo. This wonderful application can co work with Affinity Designer for every design work process like Pixel to Vector. Even need to fix and feature, Perpetual License and Low product price is Big merit. Most of all, the result of this products are good for serious project.

1 : No Subscription Policy. It's perfect perpetual license and price is low.
2 : Fast navigate and can handling big project. I have done one massive composition file over 10 Giga and it works.
3 : external plug-in compatible. i use neat image photoshop plug-in with affinty photo without any problem.
4 : Panorama and stack (include astrophotography) feature is excellent.
5 : Refine feature. This process made me spend less effort and time to make mask from fuzzy object.

1 : User can't change scratch disk. if you face "disk full error" you can't proceed until empty you system disk. Let user change or add external disk as scratch disk option need.
2 : Selecting layer from working screen is very frustrating. It means can't select wanted layer among overlapped layers with right click list checking. User must find in layer palette. this is horrible when many layer project.
3 : Little bit training need to using mask workflow. newbie user confusing when work with mask layer. also, I hope to let user enable transform separately with mask.
4 : No Batch RAW processing.
5 : No response to user's question.

• Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

The best tool for Photo Edition

Bewertet am 25.5.2021

A great software for photo edition, once you get a hold of it you can actually do really amazing photo edition. You can easily play with the layers and the tools to create a great work-

It is very easy to use and the tools available are very similar to other software tools. The zoom is infinite and helps you with a more detailed edition.

It can be a bit challenging at first if you are transitioning from another software, but once you get used to it you learn to love it.

Sean M.
  • Branche: Verbraucherdienste
  • Untern. Größe: 11-50 Mitarbeiter

Exactly what you need for quick edits

Bewertet am 9.9.2021

Unless you need access to Adobe's Creative Cloud this fits as a great replacement at a much lower cost

Nothing major, takes a bit of time to adjust to some different layout/shortcuts.

• Wöchentlich für Mehr als 1 Jahr genutzt

The best photo editor at one time cost.

Bewertet am 8.6.2021

It was a better alternative for us to reduce costs, since we were previously on a subscription-based tool. We can still manipulate the old psd files.

Actually very easy to use, and a great alternative to its subscription-based alternatives. It has a lot of features, and you can manipulate psd files without issues.

Changing over took some time, but once you learn how to use it you won't go back.

Michael H.
  • Branche: Informationstechnologie & -dienste

A real alternative to Photoshop

Bewertet am 19.10.2021

I’ve been very impressed. If you don’t want to pay into Adobe’s subscription service, this is a real alternative.

Not having a monthly subscription, the cheap cost, ease of setup. Nearly all Photoshop functions are available for a tiny fraction of the cost. It runs very well on my Mac.

The documentation can be a bit sparse. Some features of Photoshop aren’t available. Having a simple “Save for Web” function is a big loss.

Mario emiliano F.
  • Branche: Medienproduktion
  • Untern. Größe: Selbstständig

Best Photo editing for web designers

Bewertet am 4.5.2021

You can create large professional quality images as well as simple images for social media and web design.

The tools for photo editing and graphics are state of the art, compared to the recognized brand. The price is unbeatable. The stability is very good and it is cross platform.
For those who edit pictures this is the way to go,

Some learning curve worth taking. Some features take an extra step to achieve.

Ivan N.
  • Branche: Einzelhandel
  • Wöchentlich für 1-5 Monate genutzt

Amazing Photoshop alternative

Bewertet am 4.7.2021

Very positive and reliable. Cuts out monthly costs and delivers very powerful software.

Comprehensive Photoshop alternative with feature parity but faster and better export options. Very easy to pickup being an avid Photoshop user for the last decade and the price point makes it an absolute no brainer.

Nothing so far - there is a bit of a discovery phase to mirror certain actions or functions of Photoshop. Once you get thru that loop, Affinity Photo sits in the same league of the art software.

Alex P.
  • Untern. Größe: Selbstständig

Fantastic alternative to industry staples

Bewertet am 8.7.2021

Overall, I love Affinity. It's a fantastic piece of software that can perform just about any role that Adobe Photoshop can. For the price, it's a stellar value for most users and the one-time purchase model (with free updates) is much nicer than the subscription based service that Adobe has gone with.

Familiar and well designed UI. Strong suite of tools. Reliable performance and functionality. Excellent price compared to competitors.

Filetype compatibility is tricky. Affinity files aren't supported by photoshop, so exporting files is necessary for projects that are being shared to other people for editing. Slightly fewer tools than Adobe products.

Susan F.
  • Branche: Grundschul- & Sekundarbildung
  • Untern. Größe: 1.001-5.000 Mitarbeiter
  • Weitere für 6-12 Monate genutzt

Love it

Bewertet am 22.6.2021

I use it very occasionally for things that I need, but so far it's wonderful.

I love that it's so easy to use. And with lots and lots of tutorials on how to use it. The prize is awesome too.

Nothing notable so far. I enjoy using it and will continue to play around and learn.