Affinity Publisher

Graphic designing software for creative professionals

Sortieren nach

Victor conde B.
  • Branche: Grafikdesign
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Better than an alternative to inDesign

Bewertet am 28.5.2022

If you have no experience with InDesign, then this is easier to get started with, but if you have Indesign already, this is pretty similar, and give it some months and you will like it also.

The advanced features from InDesign is still missing, but most people never use those functions anyway.

Rogelio A.
  • Branche: Onlinemedien
  • Unternehmensgröße: 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Perfect choice for books and magazines design

Bewertet am 13.4.2022

I use this to design books and, as I am also the artist, I can switch easily and draw something related to the story and then jump back to my book and keep working.
This allows me to offer more services to my clients who are always consuming services on-demand, and also allows me to create a product on record time.

Affinity Publisher allows you to create a whole set of text styles you can switch from master to master. So, on a single file you can have all different sections of a Magazine and all the different styles and you don't need to work them separately.
If you have a one-man-army designer who does it all, this is the best tool as you can switch easily between Photo editing, to vector editing and back to document editing on a mouse-click.
You also have the flexibility of a text processor like Word where you can create the table of contents, for example, but you can now add different styles to this so you can have an attractive table of contents.
If you buy a set of brushes for Photo or Designer, you have them available also here.

Basically nothing. But this isn't a software meant to be used alone without it's companions Photo and Designer.

Leah B.
  • Branche: Non-Profit-Organisation Management
  • Monatlich für Mehr als 1 Jahr genutzt

If you need data merge, this product isn't for you.

Bewertet am 9.6.2022

Disappointed.

It's inexpensive. If all you are doing is designing flyers or other static publications, it's fine.

If you need mail or data merge, don't get this product. I've been using it for over a year and I still can't make it work. It mysteriously skips creating left or right side pages of two page layouts, and/or skips data records for no apparent reason. I've spent my entire career figuring out software, and this just doesn't work.

Aleksandar D.
  • Branche: Medienproduktion
  • Unternehmensgröße: 2-10 Mitarbeiter

Proffesional DTP solution on the market, with the best Price-Value ratio

Bewertet am 20.3.2022

After a many years of Adobe Indesign QuarkXpress using, we switch to Affinity Suite. Our main products are magazines and catalogues, and other predominantly graphical creations. And we are absolutely happy with our Affinity solution for now. Excellent merge of DTP, photo and vector is came to you with full Affinity suite: Affinit Publisher + Affinity Photo + Affinity Designer. One must have trio.

It is fast - build on game engine in core. You can work with one page document or hundreds of pages with a lot of images and different text styles, but speed will never drop down. It is stabile software and with excellent colour reproduction.

Affinity Publisher lack of some usefull but not mandatory features. There are no classical character and paragraph styles, but there are no combined styles like QuarkXpress have. The are no good indexing and footnote/endnote manipulation.

QuarkXPress, Adobe InDesign und CorelDRAW

Warum Affinity Publisher gewählt wurde

First reason is subscription. Second is price. Third is speed. Fourth is creativity....

Zuvor genutzte Software

QuarkXPress und Adobe InDesign

Gründe für den Wechsel zu Affinity Publisher

We try and feel every solution. Indesign is to heavy, and for full DTP solution - price is to high, same story with Quark. Speed is problem with Quark and Corel. Ragtime is solid. but retro solution with high price, but excellent table data management. All in all, Affinity suite do our job with the most style of all of them.
Deb B.
  • Branche: Grafikdesign
  • Unternehmensgröße: Selbstständig

Exception Replacement for similar Adobe software.

Bewertet am 8.3.2022

The devs are great about helping with anything at all! They also promote addons (created by other users/contributors) at reasonable prices. So, if we need to add new brushes (for example) there are a lot to choose from.

I've primarily used Adobe and GIMP before finding Affinity. I still use GIMP for quick or online graphics. But for Print I always use Affinity.

Being a small office (Just myself) it was increasingly a concern that I was paying a monthly subscription fee and some months it wasn't worth the time at all. With Affinity I can work daily or skip a month and I've already paid for the software.

The only inconvenience, is that Affinity software is separated. Publisher (is great for anything, especially Hard Print Quality, Pre-Flight tests, and even online publishing). But, because they are separate products most of us will need to buy all three (Photo, Publisher, and Designer). That said, it is still worth the value compared to the alternatives available.

Bryant B.
  • Branche: Fluggesellschaften/Luftfahrt
  • Wöchentlich für 1-5 Monate genutzt

One of the best!

Bewertet am 16.12.2021

This is probably the best software that I've used where it's advanced but not overly difficult. It's difficult at first, but there really wasn't a huge learning curve for me compared to Photoshop. I like everything streamlined and right where I need it. The menus in Affinity are well organized where other programs I ask myself why they put something here or there and it doesn't make sense.

I like how easy it is to select what you'd like to do with photos. With drone photography (especially at night), you most likely will be taking photos with the auto exposure bracketing (AEB) setting which takes several photos really fast to allow the most light into the sensor to help the photos appear brighter at night. You'd simply take all of the photos and combine them. With a drone, you have to account for any type of movement like wind and the drone itself adjusting to the gps position where you have it hovering so each photo may be slightly off. Affinity has a photo combining/stacking option. When you combine the photos... it does a great job at stacking without it looking blurry. You can choose 3 settings that will show the difference in any effects used. You have a before/after (side by side is best), the before and after split photo then the regular photo itself that will show you the difference once applied.

I haven't figured this out yet, but when working with stacked photos I have a hard time seeing the difference in the before and after photo when doing side by sides. Maybe it's just me but I don't really see the difference unless I do a large effect like making the contrast really dark.

AfterShot Pro

Gründe für den Wechsel zu Affinity Publisher

It's easier to use, streamlined and has more editing options for sure. I also think the cost is less which is a huge win.
Steve K.
  • Branche: Informationstechnologie & -dienste

Another great Serif product

Bewertet am 15.4.2022

Great desktop publishing solution that fits in well with Affinity Designer and Photo.

The workflow is very similar to that of Affinity Designer and Photo and has many common features, easy to layout pages and design documents and the associated file formats needed to import from external sources and then manipulate within the program

Nothing really, mostly it just works, there are a few quirks when it comes to layout where you need to be careful.

• Branche: Computer- & Netzwerksicherheit
  • Unternehmensgröße: 201-500 Mitarbeiter

How easy it is to use Affinity publisher

Bewertet am 1.6.2022

Overall, it took me such a small period of time to learn the software. It has lots and lots of features that I am yet to explore.

I have never used any kind of publisher software until my school asked me to create a yearbook. I wanted lighter software so I went for Affinity publisher. It literally took me one day to master the software. it is very easy to use and intuitive. Its interface is very easy and makes any new user like myself learn the software with ease

Sometimes when you are working on a bigger project, when you open the project for the first time, most of the linked images are blurry and only become clear after some time. This was a problem when I wanted to show by boss how the project was going.

Andrew M.
  • Branche: Bau

Professional, Creative, Impressive

Bewertet am 17.5.2022

Our overall experience has been very positive, the software has allowed us to create a lot of our marketing material in house which has saved a lot of money in the long term.

Affinity publisher is a very intuitive software package that allows the user to create professional, creative and visually impressive documents. The software is really inexpensive which makes it even more attractive.

The tools and capabilities of the software take a long time to learn and understand if the user isn't using it on a regular basis.

Anthony S.
  • Branche: Finanzdienstleistungen
  • Wöchentlich für Kostenlose Testversion genutzt

Affinity Publisher

Bewertet am 27.4.2022

Overall happy with the program

Tried the free trial - was helpful for creating marketing items like brochures and flyers for printing. Price seems very reasonable for the program so will probably purchase when free trial expires.

Was a bit difficult to learn at first but once you get the basics down for what you want to do it was easy.

Jeremy B.
  • Branche: Schreiben & Editieren

Gotta Get Them All, Part Three

Bewertet am 30.9.2021

As a self-published writer, I need a tool that will help me create the best editions of paperback or hardcover books that I can, and I refuse to pay an expensive monthly subscription for that privilege, especially if I’m designing these interiors only when I’m ready to print, which can be as infrequent as two or three times a year. Do I want to spend $600 a year to design the interiors of two books (and maybe the odd pamphlet) a year, or do I want to spend $50 once for the same ability? (Actually, I bought it during the 50% off sale, so I paid only $25 for it.) Maybe Adobe InDesign is better. Maybe I don’t care. Maybe Affinity Publisher does exactly what I need it to do without it throwing a bunch of stuff at me that will ultimately confuse me. That professional-looking paperback novel sitting on my bookshelf three feet to my left tells me that Affinity Publisher is just right. Those fancy PDFs I’d like to give as subscriber bonuses to my new and future readers also benefit from Publisher being cheaper than Adobe InDesign and better at formatting than Microsoft Word. I think anyone who cares about the quality of printed material needs to add this one to his or her toolbox, especially if they’re ready to toss out the subscription model from their budgets.

The master pages feature is the highlight of this app, in my opinion, as it creates templates based on ODD pages, EVEN pages, FIRST pages, various conditions, and considers not just text layouts but also image layouts. Need a bottom right page number on “recto” pages? Done. Bottom left on “verso” pages? Got it. Need that first page of the chapter to have no headers or footers? No problem. Every odd page to have a bleed graphic behind the text, or wrapping around it? Sure. Whatever the layout need, Affinity Publisher can do it (probably) easily and repetitively with the master page feature. The fact that Publisher accounts for several dozen page sizes and layouts makes it even more versatile. Who needs MS Word for “design”? Of course, it doesn’t benefit just novelists or book designers. The layout features work well for magazine designers, too. Heck, Affinity posted a video a year ago of its product specialist designing a branded restaurant menu. It can do just about anything you need a print designer to do. And that’s not even getting into the weeds about its “Studio Link” feature. Thanks to that feature, users can update book or magazine photos directly in Photo or Designer without having to import or export out of Publisher. Not even Adobe does that with its tools (so I hear)!

Barring the fact that I can never remember all the hotkeys (I’d have to remove the cut-out hotkey sheet from the back of my Affinity Publisher Workbook to remember them all, and I’m not going to deface my book that way!—even if it’s designed for that purpose), the biggest “con” I have with Publisher is with the limitations it has with font design. Specifically, drop cap layout with margins can be improved, as well as the ability to combine bold and italics to form special case typographical designs. That said, this probably isn’t a fair con, since Affinity Publisher (and all three Affinity apps, for that matter) respects each fonts’ native design, and most of them aren’t designed with bold italic versions. But it would be nice to have the option to force a design style that merges bold and italics together, just in case. It’s fine, though. I’m really only annoyed with my margin limitations. The page design features more than make up for any con.

Debbie B.
  • Branche: Marketing & Werbung

One-Time Payment for Professional Publishing Capabilities

Bewertet am 31.10.2021

My overall experience with Affinity Publisher is excellent. I'm very happy with the software and with the video tutorials which ensure that I continue improving my abilities as I explore the various program features.

If you're looking for sophisticated publishing and layout software without a monthly subscription, I highly recommend taking a look at Affinity Publisher. It's good for simple projects but also has the power behind it to allow you to work on complex projects with heavy image loads and cutting-edge designs.

There's much to like about Affinity Publisher. For one thing, it's a one-time payment, and an inexpensive purchase at that. During the COVID lockdowns they even halved the price which was a classy thing to do and helpful for many people. The price is now back up at around $55 at the time of writing which, when compared to the cost of an ongoing subscription for InDesign, is a complete steal.

But the pricing wouldn't be enough, on its own, to make me love this product.

What I really love is that it's professional-level publishing software with excellent accompanying tutorials and enormously flexibility. I can create everything from simple flyers to complex magazines and brochures and I don't feel that I'm compromising on style or formatting in the least.

It's not complicated to figure out, and the ability to use master pages makes everything much faster and easier. It's more complex than Word in terms of output, but definitely not harder to learn.

There are two other programs in the Affinity stable - Affinity Photo and Affinity Designer. Both work seamlessly with Affinity Publisher which is just a joy and a huge stress reducer - especially when I'm working to a deadline and I need everything to go without a hitch.

There aren't too many cons to Affinity Publisher. I do have a minor gripe about the Affinity Publisher book which looks really interesting but which costs almost as much as the software itself. I would have appreciated a PDF manual instead of an expensive, glossy coffee-book.

Troy H.

Serious InDesign Replacement

Bewertet am 11.3.2022

Fantastic! There was one time there was a consistent bug, but it was eventually fixed.

If you gave me the choice between InDesign or Affinity Publisher, 9/10 times I would pick publisher.

Affinity’s UI is similar to InDesign, but easy to learn and it’s UI is intuitive.

Also, you can open up designer and photo while working inside their and allows you to do multiple things within one app. It would be like being able to do the same work as Photoshop and Illustrator all within InDesign. Yes, it’s that’s amazing.

It does not have every feature InDesign has, but for the average designer you wouldn’t even notice.

Adobe InDesign

Warum Affinity Publisher gewählt wurde

Better price and UI

Zuvor genutzte Software

Adobe InDesign
Simon F.

Affinity Publisher - a real alternative to Adobe InDesign

Bewertet am 9.11.2021

Affinity Publisher (and the other Affinity Apps) have replaced all the Adobe products for me. I am incredibly impressed that a team from Nottingham UK have come up with something that can proudly stand toe to toe with Adobe. In many ways they are better than the Adobe alternatives.

PRICE. Like most users of Affinity products I was initially attracted by the price. Now that Adobe 'rent' you their software I was looking for an alternative. You can't fault the price of any of the Affinity products. They could double the price and they would still be incredibly good value for money.

FEATURES. But that doesn't mean that Publisher is a budget product. Far from it. Once you get your head around the slightly different way of working, I have found that Publisher will do everything I ever asked InDesign to do. Yes InDesign has more 'features', but Publisher does everything I need. I designed market-leading magazines for more than 20 years, so I know what I am talking about.

LEARNING CURVE. As expected with any new software there is a bit of a learning curve. Affinity do things differently to Adobe. But stick with it, because once the penny drops and you 'get it' it all makes sense. I really like the way the Affinity Apps (Publisher, Designer and Photo) all work seamlessly together.

• Branche: Verlagswesen
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 1 Jahr genutzt

Said goodbye to expensive monthly fees

Bewertet am 4.11.2021

Absolutely love the entire Affinity product suite. Was a bit intidimated at first but quickly ordered their workbooks from their website which are a great way to get up to speed with practical experience.

Affinity Publisher is packed with all the editing features we need and use in daily workflows and operations, and their studiolink technology really sets it apart as you can quickly switch to leverage the editing power of Affinity Designer or Affinity Photos directly within the app. It's also extremely fast and has a light load on your device, and best of all, you get to buy your license once and use it as long as you wish. No more monthly charges that bundle features we don't use.

Out of the 3 Affinity software this is the one that took the less getting used to, but there definitely is a small learning curve when switching to this suite. Once you get the hang of it though it gets pretty intuitive with all applications mostly using the same layout and design philosophy.

Michael H.

Affinity Publisher the best alternative for Layout software

Bewertet am 2.12.2021

Like all Affinity software it is really good and does allow for full export to the press we use for commercial printing.

Affinity Publisher is about as good as you can get for layout software compared to the other big subscription software. It has fully replaced layout for one of my employers since we did not want to move to the subscription model.

Some features common to Adobe indesign do not exist in this software as well as the learning curve while not difficult was a little time consuming.

Christian N.
  • Branche: Verlagswesen
  • Unternehmensgröße: 51-200 Mitarbeiter

The best desktop publishing application at low price

Bewertet am 13.11.2021

Best experience with smooth workflow and pro features at low price

The ability to use both Affinity photo and Affinity Designer within Affinity Publisher make it the best desktop publishing application. This goes with affordable price with advanced pro features and user-friendly interface.
Affinity Publisher makes it much easier than InDesign to use automated table of contents.
Easy transition from InDesign as the interface is as easy and intuitive and no learning is required.

Limited interactivity because with only hyperlinks and bookmarks. You can't imbed multimedia files like in InDesign.
InDesign formats can't be opened directly except when the converter called IDMarkz is used.

Jim H.
  • Branche: Baumaterial

Affinity Publisher Is My Go-To Software

Bewertet am 27.3.2022

I found this mush easier to use than other editing software. I bought all three versions of what they had to offer so I have all the tools I need.

Ease of use and to getting the first project completed. I use this for KDP book covers and interiors. Being able to publish book interiors and have no errors on upload to KDP is a major plus.

De-selecting the previous tool by selecting outside the work area should default to the arrow or move icon. Constantly having to select away from a text or other tool just to be able to move font or photo windows would be a help by making this change.

• Branche: Computer-Software

Great for SMB and Amateurs

Bewertet am 31.8.2021

The feature set nearly matches InDesign, but at a fraction of a cost. StudioLink to other Affinity apps make a particularly smooth experience that makes moving away from Creative Cloud feasible for cash-strapped amateurs or SMBs

There is very little to dislike, but if I had to find something, I would say that the three levels of menu bars, are a little unusual, and the spacing of the middle menu bar looks off.

• Branche: Architektur & Planung

Affinity Publisher review

Bewertet am 7.1.2022

Really pleased with this, it saves money against Adobe products and is a high quality software in itself. Is not a monthly payment so easy to control costs.

Good functionality across the suite of Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher - easy to switch between the three program from within the interface. Mimics Adobe InDesign in many features which means deploying across our organisation was fairly easy.

Could be better support from supplier for training but there are more online videos now available.

Vanita V.
  • Branche: Computer-Software

Great Affordable Desktop Publisher

Bewertet am 15.1.2022

It is easy to create page layouts. There are a wide variety of templates available. It is easy to add fonts. I can access Affinity Designer directly from Affinity Publisher.

I had to purchase a separate Affinity Publisher for Windows and Mac.

William S.
  • Monatlich für 6-12 Monate genutzt

Adobe alternative

Bewertet am 29.9.2021

Great software, great value for the money, one time fee

Great alternative to Adobe indesign, provides almost all the features of it

Not really any the software works great and gets you away from adobe’s subscription model

Melissa H.
  • Branche: Non-Profit-Organisation Management
  • Monatlich für 6-12 Monate genutzt

A solid alternative to Adobe products

Bewertet am 24.3.2022

I purchased Affinity after using a free trial to format and publish a book. I've since gone through the formatting and publishing process 4 more times and cannot emphasize enough how useful this software is. I hate Adobe products and am willing to work harder to avoid them. Luckily with Affinity I don't have to work harder to achieve the same product.

I used this software to format books for paperback publishing. Once learning the basics, I've found it very simple and intuitive to use for page formatting, word flow, and the layout.

There was a bit of a learning curve and I watched some videos about how to use the software.

Neel kamal K.
  • Branche: Regierungsbeziehungen
  • Unternehmensgröße: 51-200 Mitarbeiter
  • Monatlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Affinity Publisher is a coat effective DTP software

Bewertet am 15.10.2021

The software is very competitively priced and affordable without compromising on features. The software runs well on pretty old laptop of mine. It works nicely.

It is not as powerful as other leading software like Indesign