Tower

Sortieren nach

Sijawusz
Sijawusz
  • Unternehmensgröße: 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Kind of iTunes for Git (but better)

Bewertet am 14.9.2023

Smooth, macOS-like (design language-wise).

Smooth, macOS-like (design language-wise).

I like the clean, intuitive UI, great UX and ease of cherry-picking and doing interactive rebases. All of that makes it a pretty powerful tool in a sleek package.

Not much really. Poor performance with large git repositories, occasional bugs (UI and git-related).

Golo
  • Unternehmensgröße: 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Simply the best Git client out there

Bewertet am 26.9.2020

The Tower website states that it's not Tower or the Git CLI, but Tower and the Git CLI. And this is something I can actually agree with: I typically do use the Git CLI for everyday tasks, such as adding, committing, pushing, … but when it comes to things that you don't do that often manually, I switch to Tower, which gives me the feeling of still having all the details under control, but of not running the risk of causing any damage. So, Tower helps me to feel more safe and more confident in what I do, even if it's about the hard things in Git.

The challenge for any Git client is to combine ease-of-use with not abstracting away the underlying concept too much. Tower does a perfect job here: It does not hide what's happening under the hood, and this way feels familiar if you know Git pretty well, but at the same time manages to make it simple and fun to use. What I especially like is the way Tower handles branches, including branching off, merging, switching branches, cleaning up branches, and so on, … This is IMHO one of the most well-done features in Tower, and it helps you to get done what you want to achieve, without getting in your way. In contrast: It assists where reasonable, but as said still clearly communicates what it's doing under the hood. So, to cut it short: Its UI is the perfect combination of simple yet powerful.

Phew, hard to tell. Actually I'd say "nothing", but if I have to come up with something I'd probably say it's that Tower does not run on Linux (only on macOS and Windows), which is the reason why we can't use it on anyone's machine in our company (some of us are using Linux).

• Branche: Design
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

The logical and clean git client

Bewertet am 27.4.2022

Generally it is great (fine) and I will continue to use it on mac. In other environments we sting to commandline. But everytime it is possible I go back to Tower since it makes things easier, more clear and e.g. diffs are more clear to me here in the app then in online.

Compared to integrated source code solutions Tower brings a nice interface which is disconnected from your IDE. So even for people who are not proficient with git commands the app makes using versioning a breeze. Creating a repo? There is an interface for that. Merging branches - there is UI for that. Staging? The is UI for that.
All commands are available in some sort of interface so it makes versioning easier even for newcommers.

At some point the app messed up with encoding of files and broke our deployment scripts in GitHub. Plus there is no clear workflow, so user can actually press buttons and hope for the best. Guidelines would be great.

Sathish Paul
  • Unternehmensgröße: 10.000+ Mitarbeiter

An awesome Git client

Bewertet am 10.9.2020

Tower is one of those phenomenally useful tools that is done with great taste, simply works, and gets out of your way when you are heads down into your work. I wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone dealing with Git.

I am a Software engineer working in the Bay Area. I stumbled upon Tower, the wonderful Git client for macOS about 5 years ago. Ever since that day, I use Tower everyday for my work. I was drawn to Tower because of its ease of use, particularly drag and drop, for creating and merging branches. Dealing with Git conflicts, ability to quickly undo using CMD-Z and support for external diff tools are all awesome additional features. I particularly love how easy it is to quickly rebase your changes based on a remote branch.

But there are two big features in Tower that has saved me countless hours of work. The ability to quickly "stash" changes and apply them at will to different branches, and the ability to use "Reflog" to recover changes that were accidentally discarded. Tower (and Git under the hood) works really hard to not lose your changes, but even if you somehow override all of the warnings, it is possible to get the changes back.

In addition to these, the ability to search by author, commit hash, file, date and ability to easily push, pull and rebase (basic expectations from any Git client) are all very well done.

There are not many things that I wish Tower did better. But there is one. I wish the text box that allows you to type the commit description is scrollable. It is painful to use the arrow keys to navigate particularly long commit messages. I often end up writing my commit messages in an external editor and simply paste it in the textbox right before I commit.

Frank
  • Unternehmensgröße: 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Indispensable tool for our daily business

Bewertet am 16.9.2020

Tower has become one of the software tools we use on a day-to-day basis. It enables us to commit with confidence and solve merge conflicts with ease. Even our new developers can instantly work with Tower, even if they have never used Git before. It really makes a big difference in productivity.

The ease-of-use, the super intuitive interface, the time it saves us in our daily software development routine. The value it adds to our workflow. Git Tower became an indispensable item in our daily software toolset. Ever since we started using Git Tower everyone knows how to use Git efficiently and securely. It dramatically reduced frustration in our team trying to solve merge conflicts in the command line. These days are luckily over since Tower.

Nothing really, I couldn't think of anything right now. We use it daily and love it.

Norman

Best native Git client

Bewertet am 24.8.2020

I enjoy how Tower gives you access to all of Git’s features through a user-friendly interface. The workflows are intuitive, e.g. you can perform many actions by drag and drop (from creating branches all the way to cherry-picking a commit). It also works with any repo, no matter if you host it on your own server or use one of the popular Git hosting services. I myself use it in combination with AzureDevops. Once connected, cloning a repo is just a single click. What also sets Tower apart is their great documentation and learning material. A detailed documentation is accompanied by tutorials, webinars and responsive support. Something other dev tools are often lacking. As Tower saves me countless hours a week, it’s a no-brainer to pay $69 per year for not only the tool, but a steady stream of updates and great support.

The Windows version is still missing a few features that are already implemented on macOS.

Mint
  • Unternehmensgröße: 11–50 Mitarbeiter

Powerful and easy to use.

Bewertet am 14.10.2020

I've been keeping up with Tower for almost 10 years now. I found an email from back in December 2010 where I sent the beta to a friend of mine. It was only about 3 or 4 years ago that I finally broke down and bought it. I'd been using several free git clients for a while and they did work fine, but after trying a demo of Git Tower, things just clicked. It made managing my team's large git repository a breeze and was generally a joy to use. Git Tower mostly stays out of your way and allows you to get your work done without difficulty.

I'm a happy paying customer and will continue to be for the foreseeable future.

No major downsides. As with any paid product you have to judge it's worth to you over the free versions out there. Since I make my living coding and spend a lot of time inside our team's git repository, paying for an app that makes this easy is a no-brainer.

Thorsten
  • Unternehmensgröße: 11–50 Mitarbeiter

The best git UI tool for macOS

Bewertet am 2.3.2022

Tower helps me handle all my daily git workflows; no need to open the terminal at all. I"m much faster working with git in Tower than I would be in the terminal. Especially when doing selective commits.

Git tower is the best git UI tool I know. It makes working with multiple branches, multiple git repositories, cherry-picking commits easy. I've been using it for more than five years now, and there is no other git tool that better fits my mental model of git. From the start on, I loved working with Tower. You can do nearly everything you can with git on the command line and much more, i.e. comparing branches or working with pull requests.

There is nothing I really dislike about Tower. But I would wish for some new features regarding pull requests i.e. assigning reviewers or adding comments in code

Antwort von fournova Software

Thank you for your kind words, Thorsten.
We hope you continue to enjoy using Tower for many more years to come!

Chris

Excellent Supplement or Replacement for Command Line

Bewertet am 10.9.2020

I save time every single day with Tower's ease of use and excellent visualization of repositories. I still find myself using the command line for some things (especially cloning for whatever reason) but I am always referring to Tower before making commits. It also makes Interactive Staging and Stashing a breeze.

I find the user interface to be very easy to use and the feature set is fantastic. The quality is very high as well, I can't recall running into any bugs with Tower.

I don't like that it's 100% subscription based, I am completely ok with paying for updates, there's no other sustainable way, but it's a bit disheartening to be locked out from using previous versions when the license is up. I would prefer to see a purchasing model more similar to Sketch (https://www.sketch.com/pricing/).

Matthias
  • Unternehmensgröße: 11–50 Mitarbeiter

The most robust git UI out there

Bewertet am 17.9.2020

It’s one of the few software tools that I use every single day. With its minimalistic UI Tower simply gets out of my way and lets me focus on getting things done quickly.

It gives you great confidence when dealing with git for two reasons: first of all it guides you to learn the concepts behind git without hiding the more complex features. And its speed and robustness give you great transparency when dealing with larger repositories on your Mac.

It wasn’t that simple to configure authentication using my already existing SSH keys.

Cameron

The best Git GUI

Bewertet am 2.10.2020

There are free Git clients out there and I’ve tried many. They have nice aspects to them, but nothing ever felt like it checked off all the boxes like Tower. It’s one of very few software licenses that I don’t even have to question when I’m going over expenses.

Tower’s UI is so much easier to navigate than anyone else’s. When I first started learning Git years back, it felt very intimidating but Tower made it feel not so scary fixing a merge conflict, merging into Master, etc.

There’s honesty nothing to complain about for me.

• Branche: Forschung
  • Unternehmensgröße: 10.000+ Mitarbeiter

Making Git more accessible

Bewertet am 8.3.2021

We have used the Tower GitHub client in a Neuroscience research group setting for the last 4 years. Our users have differing levels of programming familiarity. The graphical user interface of Tower is perfect for this type of mixed skill environment. Using Tower we have been able to effectively share and manage code without getting individual users bogged down in the intricacies of git.

Graphical Interface
Complex mergers and rebases
LaTeX sync

Minor issues getting up and running with 2FA

• Branche: Investmentbanking
  • Unternehmensgröße: 1.001–5.000 Mitarbeiter

Fairly intuitive Source Management Tool

Bewertet am 26.6.2022

Tower has been a great tool for me. I don't have any real problems, and haven't encountered an easier source management tool yet.

It is very easy to set up a new repository and link it with GitHub, BitBucket, or whatever repo you need. Most git actions are very easy and intuitive compared to other software I've used/seen.

The only issue I've had is with switching between active branches, the stashing isn't very intuitive and needing to manually stash untracked files is fairly annoying.

Antoine
  • Branche: Bildungsmanagement
  • Unternehmensgröße: 51–200 Mitarbeiter

Very good product

Bewertet am 3.3.2021

I use it as main git client and I'm very happy about it. Very efficient to merge branches and conflict resolving.

The only thing is : No dark mode for Windows yet.

Antwort von fournova Software

Thank you for taking the time to review Tower! We have good news: dark mode for Tower for Windows is now available in our latest beta along with other new features, a complete design overhaul as well as a significant performance boost.

• Branche: Computer-Vernetzung
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Tower is the official source code management tool of choice in our company.

Bewertet am 11.4.2022

I like Tower and I admit that it is a very powerful app. I use it by requirement and I have to force myself to be very careful with it because I have seen unspeakable butchery happening with some repos due to a moment of lesser attention. I have a good and powerful machine but still Tower lags with it. I like it but for my every day use I lean on one more app which I never had glitches with.

Clear when it comes to commit history.
Wide range of features to use but you need to be experienced to use them without making a mess of it.

Sluggish with large projects to the point of freezing.

Andrei

Best Git client ever!

Bewertet am 25.5.2021

It's amazing. One of the best Git clients I've ever used!

It's amazing. One of the best Git clients I've ever used!

- It's super easy to use;
- Has a superb UI/UX;
- You can perform complex tasks quite easily (ex. rebase, force push with lease);
- Has a very nice diffing tool;

I've struggled a bit to find this one: on large projects, the performance drops a bit (the UI lags a bit in terms of updates).

• Branche: Design

Great and reliable tool

Bewertet am 12.10.2020

Intuitive interface and integration with multiple platforms.

Can't find anything annoying or problematic.

Sven
  • Wöchentlich für 6-12 Monate genutzt

Powerful Git-Client

Bewertet am 9.3.2021

The interaction with GitHub and the integration of existing projects is just great.

In the beginning, it took me some time to learn how to use the software. But after some time it was very easy for me.

Brett
Brett
  • Branche: Investmentbanking
  • Monatlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Great Software

Bewertet am 6.3.2021

Using the product is extremely easy once you get the flow down.

There wasn't much that I don't enjoy about it.

Adam
  • Branche: Bildungsmanagement
  • Unternehmensgröße: 201–500 Mitarbeiter
  • Monatlich für Mehr als 1 Jahr genutzt

Best solution for GUI git on Mac

Bewertet am 19.10.2022

The best and most feature-rich GUI GIT client for Mac OS

Nothing! Not sure why this is required. Got nothing bad to say.