You don't need to spend a lot of money in a Test Management Tool - Use SpiraTest
Great usability. It has a lot of features, easy to configure and customize. We need to migrate our projects from HP QC/ALM to SpiraTest and it has a great tool to migrate everything (releases, traceability, requirements, test cases, executions, ...). We've tested in some projects and works great.
It needs only more BI or reporting customization, but I think is enough now for most projects. Some other integrations will be great, like some tools for exploratory or acceptance testing (Microfocus Sprinter, ...).
Way better than Excel, Testuff, and other lower price point Test Management tools.
Test data management without the risk of irreversible or unaudited changes.
A cloud accessible test management tool for my test team
The ability to group test cases, the folder hierarchy, test sets and test runs per release.
So glad the all tests with tests steps view was added (Table view)
Customisable reports are very useful once configured/scripted correctly (although the interface/mechanism is too complex for non-developers/non-technical people. It is far from intuitive)
Data imported to the Excel template via the Excel add-on should arrive in a format that could be immediately exported back to Spira. This would facilitate faster creation of duplicates with minor amendments, such as copying large tests sets to be rerun in a new release.
Reporting. It's difficult to find the report you want without having to run one to see the story it tells. A snapshot of the report with generic data would be handy.
Failing/blocking a test should start creating the incident. These should be seamless. Select existing incident should be an option there also.
There should be a way to clear results from a step, not just select a different result.
There needs to be a X by Y grid matrix of requirements to tests in Reports
The Export to Excel option should work for multiple selections
The data structure should be made available within the Reporting UI to facilitate customised report writing. A drag and drop UI would be a big improvement, as would a sample view to see the impact of your changes with dummy data without having to run the report
The name of the current test should remain on screen while the steps for it are visible. As the last step scrolls off the screen the next test name can then appear.
Love version 4 but we are unable to work with version 5
My rating above is for Spiratest version 5.
We have used and loved Spiratest for the last three years but we are considering stop using after seeing version 5 features. We upgraded to version 5 months ago and we have to downgrade it because we found it unusable. I was hoping something has gone wrong with the upgrade and we started a trial version hosted by Inflecta so we could create a brand new project and work with any problems and issues with tech support.
It turns out the original upgrade was working fine and what we thought were bugs turned out to be features. We can't work with projects that force our test cases to be ordered alphabetically. To upgrade to version 5 will cause us to spend a lot of time creating custom fields and assigning numbers so we can see the test cases in the order we like. In addition, we will need to write code so we can have a report that doesn't list the test cases in alphabetical order. It doesn't make sense to us to spend time and resources trying to make the new version work like the previous version.
I am not opposed to software changes and I am always happy to see improvements in new versions but this is a showstopper for us. We are in the process of deciding whether we need to keep to paying our annual fee if we are not going to continue upgrading the software. Sorry, we loved your software but you lost us here.
See my previous comments
Antwort von Inflectra
Sorry that you didn't like the changes in v5.0. Unfortunately for every user that liked the way the old folders and test cases worked, a much larger number really didn't like them and found them cumbersome and confusing. That's why we did the redesign in v5.0 and most of our users are much happier. But as the old saying goes, you cannot please everyone!
If you really need it to work the old way, then probably staying on v4.0 makes the most sense.
SpiraTest compares very well to other well known project management applications.
SpiraTest compares very well to other well known project management applications.
SpiraTest beats Quality Center in the ability to create different workflows for multiple incident types, and workflow customization is based on a simple interface rather than on VBScript. The ability to link project artifacts together seems much easier and intuitive the Quality Center. Best of all, SpiraTest has a tool to communicate with Quality Center if you need to work in both applications.
SpiraTest also compares well with Pragmatic Software Planner. Information is much more accessible in SpiraTest, and everything actually works. Software Planner loses points for having a more rigid workflow, a non-intuitive interface, and for features that just don't work, like custom reports.
You can't beat SpiraTest without paying a lot more (and even then you might be disappointed).
- Surprisingly easy set up.
- Fantastic ease of use once you get used to the workflow paradigm (change status, verify newly required fields, then update).
- Traceability: We love how all project components can be linked together.
- Test case management: Create individual steps for each test case, and link steps from one test case to another to prevent step duplication. Create a test run, and send information to your automated testing software. Software testing heaven.
- Workflow management: custom workflows by project or even by incident type. Cusomtization is implemented by interface, not language.
- Support: Inflectra support has been fantastic in helping us migrate data into SpiraTest from our previous system.
- Meets our needs: Our consulting firm needed a one-stop app that would work for multiple long- and short-term projects. We found SpiraTest, we tried it, and we love it.
Enhancements to current features, rather than new features, seems to be the rule:
- ability to create and administer user groups on a project level instead of only at the application level.
- mass updating of multiple artifacts (change all incidents with this type to that type)
- update workflow transitions by user type instead of altering each transition.
- Workflow takes a little getting used to; transitions must be performed in the following order - 1. Select the desired status, 2. Fill out ALL the newly required fields (check all the tabs), and then 3. Update.
- Custom fields are hidden on their own tab in the lower half of the main pane. It would be nice to have the option to place some custom fields on the main pane.
- Would be nice to be able to hide fields that aren't desired for a certain project.
- Would like the ability to assign certain SysAdmin rights on a project level.
- Would like a few more report cusomization options.
Overall it's good an makes test management and running a lot smoother
The history features of test cases are nice. The ability to link requirements to test steps is nice (allthough could be improved as it is lost on clone). The tracking of progress is nice and ability to create incidents from a specific test steps helps a lot. All the different types of reports that are available to generate are also quite nice.
The lack of branching/versioning of test cases. This is a big con for us and we're hoping that it will be looked at in the future. Another problem is the linking of requirements to test steps, it feels like it's lacking a bit; it should be possible to 1. Clone a test case and keep the requirements on the test steps (currently they're lost) 2. If a requirement is just linked to a test step the result should be possible to link to that, currently if a step not at all related to the requirement fails the requirement will also fail. Also we'd like a report where it's easy to see the traceability and result of test run and requirement, e.g.:
Currently it is possible to get the requirement and what Test case it is tested in and then print out all of the test cases to see the results. We'd just like a bit of an easier report/tracking here. If possible it would also be nice to add a comment to FAILED, maybe what test case failed (if it is tested in more than one) and perhaps even incident numbers of some sort.
Antwort von Inflectra
Thanks for the positive feedback on SpiraTest, including the ability to link requirements to test steps (most tools limit the link to just test cases). We do plan on adding requirements/test case baselining functionality, we already support test case and requirements versioning and history tracking.
The linking of requirements to test steps and the corresponding reporting was added recently and we shall be enhancing its reporting and tracking in future releases.
You can report a reason when a test case / test step fails (in fact you have to), and we already include built-in defect creation and linking during the test execution process, so we're not sure what the reviewer meant by that part.
Spira Test Version v2.1 has many functionalities of a Robust Testing Tool.
Spira Test Version v2.1 has many functionalities of a Robust Testing Tool, it is complex and has what a project needs to start testing, but it is difficult to implement and I can see project monitoring a little bit weak if the test execution was not correctly followed from the start. It would be good to see a few more features and clean up the UI to be able to have a better feeling of the projects you are currently working on. A concern is the security when using Jira integration, I don't think we need to personalize and configure every bit of the tool specially in installation files adding sensitive information should be left optional (like in other project settings). New features in the configuration management would also help to identify the items we are working on. Thanks for all your continuous support. Alejandra Gonzalez
- Defects will open new ticket in Jira ( with new ID ) email notification will be set to Spira Test ID
- Integration with documents from MS Office available in HTML, XML, Word and Excel formats.
- Integrated with third party software: Available Jira Integration
- Available to Import test cases from excel with provided SpiraTestImporterTemplate.xls
- Highlights changes to requirements and test cases in History
- Changes can trigger e-mail alerts or notification of users set up.
- Updates are available for download in the website.
- Monitor Environment and Resource Usage: Available in Application event logs from server to administrator
- Can add attachments to requirements and test cases, but need to click on it to open it and the description is an alt tag to the name of file.
- DB Backup options available to db administrator.
- Tool support resources: Comprehensive on-line help, email, and examples supplied in demo trial.
- Would like the User interface to be a little more friendly and easy to use.
- Spira Test implementation needs to configure too many sensitive user information in the configuration file, would like to see another version that does not need this
- Was not clear if the history of execution status is saved after many executions just saw some saved.
- Email sent from Incidents created from Spira test makes tracking difficult, the subject of project. is not in the title of email, only the id, that is the next ID available for all projects.
- Server performance issues, Spira Test requires too many resources.
- Record and play not available in this Software version.
- Need to update installation files (*.config) for each user that is using the tool. User setup and access process is too long.
Probably the best test management software available!
Creating and and reusing test case is very simple. It helps teams communicate regarding test cases while performing QA duties. Integration are great and also you can undo deleting.
UI can be imporved. The customization is not that great. Tracking modules can be improved, all these can be improved to make this good tool a great tool.
Good Test Tool plus Excellent Support
Having undertaken a lot of research, I found SpiraTest to be a very good balance of cost vs. functionality. The trial period proved very useful to truly test that the product met all our needs. Also, as the trial version could be included in our purchased copy, we didn't lose any of the data we'd input.
I found the support team to be excellent, they replied quickly and cheerfully to all my questions and was one of the deciding factors in buying this product.
Flexible, easy to use system
Offers integration with other products
Provides a lot of functionality, some of which we will use at once and some we can introduce gradually
Have not found any yet
I have used several testing softwares, and SPIRA works very well at organizing test cases and test steps. Love the Excel tie-in for easy import/export of test cases. Allows a great deal of functionality at a decent price point.
Excel Add-In allows authoring and exporting test cases/steps in Excel.
Provides a great deal of metrics.
We're using it for requirements and the requirements to components to test case structure is highly flexible.
Test Case Execution doesn't show pictures in full for the expected result, but works awesomely for the actual result.
Very good test tool and the support is excellent
We have testing our health systems with trial Spira Test and Spira Team amd tjese `products meet all our nees, and We found will be a very good balance of cost and functionality and the support team of Inflectra Sales is excelent.They replied all my questions and issues with the Spira Team instalation.
Spira Team is flexible and ease to use in destop or web system, in dot net technologies and IIS 7.5
We hope my companies will buy these producs
The customers support is very good.
The cost is very low alongside other products and very good benefits
Have not found any yet
Nice Product. Easy to use ,everything can be tracked in one application..that's awesome.
Its simple and reliable use as compare to industry leaders in this field. Good value for money and excellent support. Also its capabilities to integrate with other tools.
1-I love the feature to track the bugs. Its so simpler and the enhanced feature of embedding screenshot makes my job lot easier.
2-The reporting section is also good and the available formats to extract reports make my team as well as dev team more comfortable to understand the generated reports.
3-Enabling us to manage the requirement also plays an important role in putting this ahead of some competitors . Its very easy to track requirements either by release or by test cases.
4-last but not the least. Excellent customer Service.
As I do not see any major flaw in this but yes something needs to be updated/enhanced to make it more user friendly:
1-Allow to delete User. Currently it only allows to disable the user.
2-Flexibility to add our own status to Requirements.
3- few UI issues in reporting.
We Use it Everyday
We use SpiraTest daily. We use it as a repository for our requirements and use the workflow to help move them through the review and approval cycle. There are some issues with the workflow that need to be fixed by Inflectra but overall it helps us to be more efficient.
We convert the requirements to test case shells and the test team writes the test cases based on the shell. It makes it very convenient to be able to have the requirements and the requirements tied together. When the test cases get executed SpiraTest helps us see where we are in the test cycle.
Additionally, we use the incident management to track bugs and other issues that arise during the test process.
Overall we like the product. There are some outstanding issues that Inflectra needs to address, but the customer support has always been very responsive and being a small business the price of the package and support has been affordable.
Affordable and has lots of features.
Some quality issues. The software is well thought out, but it takes a little bit of time to learn its operation.
Spiratest is the prefect monitoring solution for our testing needs
I have recommend Spiratest to my client ever since their version 2.0. The easy to use presentation, the report generation, the overall test structure of using a Test Catalog (Test Scenario) to built specific group of sequential test cases (Test Sets) help me create the proper tracking for mastering of End-to-End Test Scenario (reusing single test cases as modular steps)
Easy to use and personalize dashboards
Addon (Excel / Word) not in synch with the version which cause a lot of rework. Upload/Download from Excel is only available at version 4.0 but doesn't work with the version 5.0 for Test Cases/Test Sets, etc...
Antwort von Inflectra
Thanks Marc for the feedback. Don't worry we are in the process of updating the Excel Add-In for version 5.0 so that you won't have to worry about that part in the next month!
Spiratest is a complete test management software/Requirements Management Tool
Efficiently manage automated and manual test scripts and cases.
Great tool to help organize software testing needs like project requirements, building a test plan, writing the tests, planning the test activities and capturing the results also like bug tracking in the automation testing as well manual testing. Easy to use and everything can be tracked in one application..that's awesome.one tool for all like document collaboration,Test Case Management,Project Management,Requirements Management and etc and mainly affordable cost compare to other similar software
The UI, is not very friendly with a complex form to work on it
frequently user experience application hang problems
Antwort von Inflectra
Thanks for the great review. We have actually made some major UI improvements in the user interface in v5.3 this year, with most customers liking the new streamlined, simplified look.
Do you want the red pill or the blue pill, the choice is up to you.
Automation v.s Manual and training has been made easier for an individual whom prior to 2018 had no I.T experience, I could pick up the product and teach myself with the Inflectra Webinaar sessions provided by CSR and the bloaks. FORZA
Spira Test meets halfway with Agile methodology and brings it to life with a user experience unparalleled in the current industry, excelsior!
Users not using it as designed, other than that.
Almost perfect, keep doing what Inflectra's doing.
Great value for money software with fantastic support
Have been using Spiratest for the last 3 years for defect tracking and test execution. It was already in use when i joined the company and i found it easy to use and feature rich. We use e seperate project for each or our customers & we can give them access to their own project to track defects during UAT.
Reports and workflows restricted to individual projects which gets really frustrating unless all work is done in a single project. No Enterprise reporting included so far, but i am told this is coming soon.
Spira Hosted Solution
I am into quality assurance and testing. We were always looking out for a test repository that can help the team in sharing test assets and also produce reports. SPIRA lets us do both. We are only using SPIRA to define what we use in our requirement and defect tracking tool. It has been very helpful in showing test runs to the senior management as well.
Ease of use and it's setup
Excel functionality to export test cases needs an improvement as we cannot export only a limited set of test cases.
Serves the purpose
Cloud and in house hosting options available.
Customer support is quick and effective.
Product is upgraded frequently.
Roadmap is clearly communicated.
Lots of customization options for reports if you know how to do it.
Copy, edit, clone and drag and drop are not that user friendly.
Need more integration options like EA.
Worth the money ;-)
It would be nice to have a forum/wiki on your website, where people can exchange knowledge or problems with other users.
quite easy to create testcases
management of releases is a good feature
interfaces between ldap and jira work well
clear structure (by folders) of testcases
clear notion of testing progress
good export features (ecxel, word, html)
support is very fast, competent and friendly
As a beginner it often happens that you leave a page without saving your work (for e.g. by clicking a link in the navigation). A hint, that you explicitly have to changes before you leave would be very helpfull.
When deleting an item, there is a confirmation dialog. It would be helpfull if this dialog would also contain the name of the item to be deleted.
It would be nice if attachements (e.g. screenshots) could be synchronized between jira and spiratest.
If you comment on an issue that has already been synchronized to jira, this comment is not submitted to jira (it only works from jira to spiratest)
Error messages within the windows event viewer are not easy to understand.
Antwort von Inflectra
1) We do have support forums on our website (which we have let the customer know about)
2) We shall be adding better save and delete confirmations across the application.
3) The ability to sync attachments to/from JIRA will be part of a scheduled update to the plugin.
Spira Test Review
- covers Requirements as well as Test Cases
- compatibility with automatic testing tools
- possibility to create Test Sets
- execute Test Sets separately from the Test Cases they contain
- "keep me logged in" doesn't work (sometimes changes are lost)
- sometimes the lists aren't displayed correctly (then after selecting "Show Level 1" it works again, but it's annoying)
- mixed language (German and English - wouldn't care if it is only English .. maybe depending on the language of the browser?)
- the tree list view to the left when editing one Requirement or Test Case is often not displayed correctly which makes it difficult to navigate
- moving of list items sometimes doesn't work
- "Administration" link is only displayed if a project is opened for which someone is Project Owner, even if he is an overall administrator
- if text is copied from a Test Step and the whole text field was selected, a grey background is pasted
Nice to have:
- Maybe it isn't possible - but it would be nice to have the possibility to link a Test Case to an automatic testing tool for each Test Set which contains this Test Case. Because we are testing automatically with Smart Bear's TestComplete and we also use the possibility to have one Test Case in several Test Sets, if they are the same. Due to some slight differences we can't use the same recorded test (in TestComplete) for all of the Test Sets.
- It would be nice to have a choice if an item is pasted before or after the checked item in the list.
- We would like to have the possibility to link a Test Case folder with a superior Requirement. If then a Test Case is created from a Requirement, the new Test Case should be in the linked folder. It is annoying to search for a new Requirement at the end of the list and moving it up into the corresponding folder. Or maybe you can provide a choice into which folder the new Test Case should be created.
We are happy to have a tool which provides the possibility to manage Requirements, Test Cases and Test Sets. Also the feature to test automatically is great! But we were a little bit disappointed that the last update just brought some changes regarding design. The buggy functionalities influencing the usability were not fixed (e.g. displaying the list). Or maybe we recognized only the design changes. Overall, we put trust into the Inflectra team that those annoying usability issues will be fixed.
Excellent Support Reponses !
Great product for the 4-5 days I've worked with it.
Took a few days to get used to but decent interface and meets most our needs thus far, submitted questions to Support on details and got great rapid response. Thank you !
Can't link a Requirement# to a Test Step within a Test Case.(Support forwarded request to development). Adding screen shots to a Test Step doesn't look like it can be done - we have lots of screen shots per our existing test steps, would like to get them in somehow, not just listed at the bottom of the Test Case. Q: Is there a way to display multiple Test Cases at once down the screen ? Often, there is a need to reference other Test Cases content more easily than clicking back and forth to another Test Case, so another Test Case can be completed or edited. It would be nice to be able to see multiple Test Cases displayed on the screen somehow, in parallel, or cascaded format, like Windows does - for ease in scoping a bigger picture say for consolidating similar Test Cases already written, etc. Thanks.
Antwort von Inflectra
User was not aware of test step attachments tab, we provided guidance on how to use.
Regarding the display of multiple test case, the system supports the use of browser tabbed browsing so that each browser tab can contain a different test case.
Nice tool but needs lot of improvement
1) Cloud based software and hence we dont have to worry about maintaining it.
2) Can create Test plan and defect in same tool and can link the defect to the test plan ID which is useful feature.
1) UI, Look and feel is so old and need drastic change.
2) Session time out value is too low and need to login very frequently.
3) The defect number is not based on the product/project and its based on complete subscription. for ex: Defect number 1 might be for one product and defect number 2 might be assigned to different product. the next numbering should be per product/project.
4) attaching images are not user friendly.
Antwort von Inflectra
We are a bit surprised with this review as we completely changed the UI about 3 months ago in v5.4. Also capturing screenshots is very easy, you just paste in the image, no uploading needed, perhaps the user was not aware of how this works.
In terms of the IDs that is correct, but that is because you can share defects across projects (unlike other tools like JIRA) so you need to have globally unique IDs.
A nice little addition to a development team
It's nice, obviously could use some improvements but their team is always putting out updates and new content. Overall I think it's worth it to have.
Integrates well with Jira.
Easy to configure for your needs.
Nice reporting tools.
Good support team.
Reports can be really slow sometimes.
Reports take a lot of customizing before you get any useful results.
The UI is not very user friendly.
Antwort von Inflectra
Thanks for your review, it is very helpful, I will pass on your feedback to our development team. I know that they are working to improve the reports, we plan to have the improvements released in v6.1 later this year.
SpiraTest in not meeting our expectation
It would be good if you can improve your product usability and user-friendly
Customer support resolving issues are not as expected - for many issues, there was no solution from support team
While using the application we were getting exceptions in many areas
Overall I would like to see if you can improve on the below-mentioned areas, which is affecting us very badly
1. Allow to delete user
2. To prepare a test suite for execution - takes lot of time
3. No flexibility to add our own status to Requirements/Releases - due to this we are not able to sync with Jira properly
4. Filtering or searching is not working properly
5. Report can be made simple to use
6. Still struggling to understand how your dashboard displays the data
7. Not able to sync Severity field of SpiraTest with Jira
8. Uploading test cases is been very difficult (we don't have folder option ) to directly upload the test cases into a specific folder.
9. Bulk Edit of test cases is not available
Cost wise it is affordable
Already listed in my feedback
Antwort von Inflectra
We have worked very hard to help out Amber Road, but they have some environmental issues with their database server that has taken time to resolve. We are currently working with their IT group to get access to their on-premise installation to help them pinpoint which parts of their infrastructure is causing issues.
this is not my first test management system
I come from more than a decade in Quality Assurance and I normally use Mercury Test Director or QTP. I am sure if you touted out feature lists one of the big guys would win and maybe a little bit in usability. I looked at more than a dozen products and the bottom line is that SpiraTest is a hugely superior value over everything I evaluated.
We installed 9 months ago after an extended trial where we used it on a small cycled project. The staff was a tremendous help and a big part of our decision. We manage testing cycles for various projects across many departments. We are able to train quickly and let people take over as their own project owners in many cases and just stay in touch and help them along the way. Other projects we manage internally. One repository already has 13,000 test cases in it from a previous software import.
The value was great. Nothing came close.
The flexibility is great with the plugins. We are attached to our hosted JIRA service and are working on Selenium right now.
The support staff has always been great, from the first day of our trial on.
We have had a few down times. It was never enough to warrant a phone call, but a minor frustration.
Image use is limited or at least not how we would like it.
Its not perfect. :)