Balsamiq

Tracy
Tracy

I still love it after 9 years

Bewertet am 29.9.2020

I've been extremely pleased with the overall experience. I really like the look of making a wireframe look like a sketch. It gives it a very clean look so you can focus on the functionality.

I found it extremely easy to use. It took me very little time to understand the concept and then I was up and running. As I continued to use it I picked up shortcuts and advanced features. It really plays a big role in communicating what needs to be built. I also really like exporting a project into a PDF file so it can be used as a demo with options linking to various pages.

I haven't really found much that I did not like. There have been times when I would like to have some more elements to include in my wireframes. I have seen some that were available for purchase which is nice.

Alejandro Javier
Alejandro Javier

Simple and fast

Bewertet am 22.2.2021

When I make mockups of my software development, I make demo mock-ups with Balsamiq Mockups fast so that my customers and I can work on landing our ideas.

Thanks to its simplicity, I achieve complete mockups in no time.
In addition to the elements that made the community libraries accelerate the process.

Its very simplicity makes accomplishing complex things sometimes more difficult than its competition.

In Betracht gezogene Alternativen

That is simple and fast
Timothy
Timothy
  • Weitere für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Great for online tutorial creators, outdated for design and prototyping

Bewertet am 7.4.2019

I've seen many Udemy courses using this as a teaching platform, and for that application it is great. For modern designers, you should look someplace else for prototyping and outlining your next idea

- Great for explanation videos or tutorials
- Slide-show style format makes it easy to present complex topics in a simple way
- Lots of templates for mobile / web interfaces to create prototypes

- Modern design is moving towards working in apps like Sketch, where you can outline, design, prototype, and even generate CSS in a single place. Balsamiq used to be designers' go-to tool, but there are far better options available now.
- You can outline your ideas here, but you're just going to have to recreate them in another app anyway

Jenny
Jenny
  • Monatlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Fast, cheap mockup and wireframing tool for busy people

Bewertet am 1.8.2018

Quick wireframing and mockups without having to go on a course to use it. A great way to get your ideas down and shown around.

This is my go-to wireframing tool when I just need to get an idea down on something more than paper.

It's simple to use thanks to the drag and drop interface, with plenty of predetermined UI options like forms, buttons, menus, pickers, etc.

It's also ideal for presenting interactive prototypes to clients thanks to the linking feature and full-screen presentation option. I also love the option of "sketch" or "wireframe" so you can make it your work look like a quick draft or a clean wireframe.

While there's a short learning curve to use this product, there's tons of help to be found over at the Balsamiq website. I got plenty of tips and tricks to use Balsamiq more efficiently from their blog posts.

The UI library could use a bit of an update. It would also be good to customize them more than just resizing, especially for picky clients who want a hi-fi mockup. Changing the color of the dropdown buttons or changing the button background color AND text color, for example. If I could double-click on an element and then be able to select specific things, it would be perfect.

It would also be useful to add another font option. Just having one font for the entire project is rather limiting when trying to recreate a client's website as closely as possible to sell them on the new UI design.

Overall, Balsamiq is sort of like the "quick and dirty" version of more advanced wireframing tools. It's fast and easy to use but may seem like a downgrade if you're used to more high-end programs.

Antwort von Balsamiq Studios

Hi Jenny and thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.

I've added your vote for the different features/options you have mentioned but feel free to reach out directly if you have any additional input. It's always very helpful for us to hear it! support@balsamiq.com

-Virgin

Keerthi
Keerthi
  • Branche: Pharmazeutika
  • Unternehmensgröße: 10.000+ Mitarbeiter

Easiest mock up creation software

Bewertet am 11.9.2018

An excellent experience for rapid prototyping and a life saver for requirements discussions

I have a lot of clients that are not able to clearly express their requirements or visualize the outcome of the project. Step in balsamiq software that helps me to showcase the forms and development of very rapid prototyping screens. The software has the option to create mobile screens, grids, all the easier ux elements in a different sketch format. This gives the client an idea of what the product will look like and also confirm that it is a model and not the final product

Editing of grids or adding rich text elements is a bit painful process

Prashant
Prashant
  • Unternehmensgröße: 1.001–5.000 Mitarbeiter

Must have tools if you are a Product Manager

Bewertet am 28.7.2019

Overall satisfied, but Invision, Sketch and Marvel are catching up fast in this domain.

It helps make Mockups quickly and with pre built frames it is very easy.
It also helps sharing very easy.
I like the fact that almost all that is needed for android, ios and web is available and can be edited.

The following things I don't like -
1. No walk through/onboarding, sometimes makes you feel lost.
2. Lack of prototyping. I would like to share user flow also, which I cannot.

In Betracht gezogene Alternativen

Moqups und Marvel
Aaron
Aaron
  • Unternehmensgröße: 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Essential for communicating website and mobile layouts

Bewertet am 20.4.2019

Balsamiq is the best way to communicate complicated ideas with clients.

Balsamiq is the best way to communicate complicated ideas with clients.

For anything of any complexity, I love using Balsamiq to quickly wireframe what a website, form, mobile app, or component. By keeping with the 'sketch' look, clients don't get sidetracked with imagery, or colors, or fonts - instead they focus on the layout and functionality of the website or app. I love creating navigational PDFs for clients with this tool.

Sometimes it can be hard to find the right icon - there's got to be some way to search and find them.

Zee
Zee
  • Monatlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Great for website mockups for non-designers

Bewertet am 27.8.2019

It was and is a convenient tool I use to create basic mockups to describe my ideas to designers and developers when it comes to website design. It's user-friendly and I quickly learned how to use it.

It's a great tool to explain to designers (or to other colleagues) what do you want to see on the website. I am not a designer, but I often have to create new pages with information on our website and before I give the technical task to the designers and developers.

Balsamiq has quite a number of "features" you can add to your website so that you can create a draft layout in a few minutes (if you know what you're creating, that is. If not, then you can drag n' drop features around the page and get the job done too.)

It did everything I needed it to do, so I haven't found anything where I found it lacking.

Neeraj
Neeraj
  • Branche: Unternehmensberatung
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Easy to use, quick to learn, wire-framing software

Bewertet am 7.5.2018

facilitates better communication, saves time and leads to overall lift in product design level

- Allows me to build wireframes for our web-based software product without wasting the time of our lead designer.
- Allows me to better explain concepts to our developers, especially concepts which would be hard to explain just through words - interactions between elements, actions on clicking of buttons, etc.
- The learning curve for this software is not very high - anyone with basic powerpoint skills can get started quickly.

- There are limited set of charting elements available on the tool
- One cannot rotate / tilt elements

Ozone
  • Branche: E-Learning
  • Monatlich für 6-12 Monate genutzt

Good for sketching out rough wireframes quickly

Bewertet am 30.9.2023

Balsamiq is a good tool to quickly whip out a layout to get a general idea of what you're going to build. It is very easy to use, and provides common components required for sketching a website. It has great presentation mode to quickly demonstrate your ideas to clients or your team, and it emphasizes feature-first approach as it can be used to demonstrate layout and features before the nitty gritty graphic details.

Although Balsamiq is great, it lacks a lot of features. It has very little collaboration options to work together with your team. Resizing elements in Balsamiq is clunky, and it does not have a snappy drag and drop with grids which a lot of other wireframing tools provide. It also does not have any options for extending the mockups with colors, which might be required in many cases.

Wireframing and prototyping our SaaS Website

Bewertet am 22.9.2022

I'm using Balsamiq to create wireframes for new features that we add to our SaaS webseite.

In the...

In the past we either did paper prototyping. That was very time-consuming, because you had to redraw everything every time you made a change. Then we used some other software, but it was slow and did not always load all our files reliably.

With Balsamiq that changed:

Now our workflow works like this: We decide to add a new feature. I load the Balsamiq file with the current state of the website. Then I create some variants of how the page could look with the change. A colleague looks at the suggestions. He also makes his own suggestions. Then we discuss the whole thing either on site or remotely. Done.

* Balsamiq is very easy to use. My colleague is a programmer and therefore not a frequent user of design software. He gets along with Balsamiq and can use it on his own.

* What I also really like about Balsamiq is that is uses imperfect design elements, e.g. everything looks a bit hand drawn. It is like a brain hack to inform your brain 'Hey, feel free to brainstorm and try new things".
I've read a book about that idea by Carolyn Snyder called Paper Prototyping.

* I like the fact that is a real software I can download and keep forever and in addition a SaaS website. The best of both worlds in one software.

There are many pre-drawn design elements ready to use - so I don't need to create everything from scratch.

* Sometimes the software is a bit laggy and slow.

* We have a huge amount of old wireframes and it is not always easy to organize it.

* If my team member creates several variants of a screen, it is not always easy for me easy to detect that they exist or to switch between them.

Antwort von Balsamiq Studios

Hi there! Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about our little tool. This might help with the organization issues you mentioned: https://balsamiq.com/wireframes/cloud/docs/cleanproject/#organize-wireframes-and-use-a-hierarchy

Don't hesitate to reach out about the slowness issue, we'd love to help fixing it: support@balsamiq.com

Best,

• Unternehmensgröße: 51–200 Mitarbeiter

Very ideal for wireframe creation in software development teams

Bewertet am 8.1.2022

I still recommend this tool for the team who likes a tool for managing wireframes and prototypes. It gives the vital requirement for a mockup.

1. Simple and classic look - Balsamiq gives an old-school feels to its components which I really like. It is simple and easy to blend to the documents/presentation you can add it into.
2. Drag and drop functionality - This tool is very easy to understand and manage. Training for this tool will not take long
3. Many components to choose from - Buttons, dropdowns, text fields, and more. From simple to up to date components, you can find them here.
4. Easy to manage tool
5. Great for presentation too
6. Output is comprehensive for the whole team of any role - Because it is simple and classic, all team members can appreciate it too: developer/QA/designer

1. I think that the fact that it is too plain, it can limit the user from expressing what he/she likes the prototype to become.
2. The interactions/simulations with the components in Balsamiq is too limited
3. Collaboration for instant feedback is a limitation here

Pedro
  • Branche: Design
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Sketches in a very simple and fast way.

Bewertet am 24.5.2019

My experience with Balsamiq has been quite good, it helps me to make sketches, wireframes in a very fast, simple way, speeding up the delivery time of the projects, besides that they can be shared immediately thanks to their export methods, as well I can export them directly to a disk in the cloud and share it with the client quickly.

There are several reasons why I like balsamiq, it is a tool with a very low learning curve, quite intuitive, and does not need any type of download since it is hosted in the cloud so it is accessible from any device, it has a very useful autosave system that helps you not miss the progress in the project, is excellent for collaborative projects because it allows to invite colleagues or other people, also has a desktop version, supports various forms of export in different formats, from pdf, even images like jpg.

What I like the least about balsamiq is its interface, it is something old fashioned, besides that they can add a greater variety of objects to integrate in wireframes, sketches, mockups, etc. Another thing that I do not like is that when it comes to overlapping objects on each other very small, it can be quite a challenge, it would be nice if you could edit the position of the object as in web development, with a z-index.

Eliz
  • Branche: Hausmeisterservice
  • Unternehmensgröße: 51–200 Mitarbeiter

I use this application to make screen models for software developed internally in the company

Bewertet am 10.11.2017

It is very good to make models and discuss them with end users, and with developers, it is easy to use and very friendly.

It is easy to use, friendly, you can make base models, prepare presentations to users, make several versions that allows you to select the optimal one and leave the history of other models, insert bootstrap icons, symbols to make it more similar to the final version, place annotations

When saving duplicates the symbols, it is difficult to erase them because when deleting they are removed from the ready models.

Antwort von Balsamiq Studios

Hi Eliz and thanks for your review!

We'd love to hear more about the issue you're seeing while deleting Symbols. If you have time, could you reach us via support@balsamiq.com?

While it¿s totally fine if you don¿t have time for this, we¿ll be here to help if you¿d like! :)

Kind regards,

-Virgin from Balsamiq

Sophia
  • Unternehmensgröße: 10.000+ Mitarbeiter
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Excellent software for daily use.

Bewertet am 28.8.2019

In my personal experience, it is a very useful tool, easily accessible, without the need for installation or previous configuration, which is used to make quick designs, diagrams, sketches, mockups, etc. It is quite versatile when improvised, it also allows access from any device with internet access and a web

I really like this tool because it is very versatile, I can make mockups, sketches, diagrams, etc. In a very easy and fast way, the interface is very intuitive and easy to use, any design that is needed can be created freely, it also has many icons and predetermined shapes, it has an adjustment system and a fairly useful grid that helps to work more precisely, what i like most is the number of formats in which i can export the projects, since it supports several formats such as pdf, jpg, png, etc.

It is a limited software in terms of customization of shapes, since it only supports changes in size, colors and texts, it serves for basic and fast designs, however, for more dynamic and specific models, it is not the ideal tool.

Trinidad Rebeca
  • Branche: Computer-Vernetzung
  • Unternehmensgröße: 5.001–10.000 Mitarbeiter
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Wireframes, Mockups and more at any time.

Bewertet am 11.7.2019

My experience with balsamiq has been quite positive, it allows you to make sketches very quickly, or diagrams, in addition to supporting so many formats it is easy to share with other people, it also allows collaborative projects so i can work in a group effective.

What I like the most about Balsamiq is the number of formats it supports to export the work done, it is very easy to use its workspace is quite comfortable, it has a great variety of predefined images, which allows wireframes, mockups, diagrams , etc. In a very fast and intuitive way, besides being web based, you can enter from any device with internet access from a web browser. Another function that I like very much is the ability to export the files directly to a cloud such as google drive.

It is a tool of basic / medium use so despite having a variety of buttons and predefined images, they need to increase the amount, the interface, despite being quite intuitive, the design looks somewhat antiquated.

• Monatlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

The perfect mockup tool for non-designers

Bewertet am 16.9.2018

When I'm collaborating with designers and/or engineers on a new website or mobile app experience, Balsamiq is my go-to resource for creating mockups.

First, it strikes a very good balance between features and complexity; it's quite easy to find, manipulate, and edit the visual elements you need, even though the range of elements is quite large and the "canvas" is so customizable.

Second, the "hand-drawn" style of the elements is perfect for early-stage mockups, because it allows you to create pretty good approximations of the look-and-feel of a user experience without suggesting (or being responsible for/beholden to) pixel-perfect mockups.

I sometimes wish the Balsamiq team was more aggressive about releasing new visual elements in the tool to reflect new design styles being produced out in the wild, but usually I can either use a similar element or mush other elements together to create the same effect.

And at the end of the day, this isn't a deal-killer--after all, Balsamiq allows you to create approximations and capture the intent of your design, and if there were an endless supply of element options, you might get too caught up in trying to be precise (which hamstrings the designers).

• Branche: Musik
  • Unternehmensgröße: 1.001–5.000 Mitarbeiter
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Balsamiq lives up to its reputation as an easy rapid prototyping tool

Bewertet am 5.5.2018

Balsamiq is designed at creating rapid, low-fidelity static mockups. It does that very well, and is so easy to use. If you use Balsamiq Cloud, it's also easy to share and collaborate on mockups. The Cloud offering has a nice way to publish the mockups to use as a presentation for business customers.

The symbol capability is great, allowing you to re-use components of a mockup across a project and even override the defaults from a symbol. I've seen other tools that fall down at this aspect.

Balsamiq is not intended to create high-fidelity mockups or animation, so it is not comparable to some mockup tools that have those features (Framer, Adobe XD). However, I think the price reflects that. Balsamiq is very affordable for some back-of-the-napkin type mockups that you can throw together quickly.

• Unternehmensgröße: 501–1.000 Mitarbeiter

Few things to know about Balsamiq

Bewertet am 17.12.2018

Must to have a product like this for building prototype.

Must to have a product like this for building prototype.

1. A very good tool to learn wireframing and the concept of wireframing.
2. I am glad to say that it provides a top notch level of UX that helps me a lot to build wireframe of any display quickly and easily.

1. Limited access to icon library there can be scope of improving it.
2. Boring user interface as it don’t attacts me just because it doesn’t have any color options.

Vivek
Vivek

Amazing tool for PM's and Dev

Bewertet am 29.5.2016

Balsamiq remains an extremely simple and easy to use tool for wireframing - infact it is the default choice of a bunch of product managers, specially at the beginning of their career. The ease allows you to ship out basic wireframes at an amazing pace. Because of this reason it strongly fits into the early stage startup culture. I have personally developed the first version of web apps, mobile apps on balsamiq and never has my dev team complained. It gets a bit tricky to use this extensively at an evolved product stage but nevertheless the tool works and works just fine.

Simplicity. Anyone, literally anyone can use Balsamiq. The web demo is simple and then all the leading dev and business tools have a balsamiq app - be it Google for Work, Confluence.

Balsamiq - is a great skeleton wireframing tool and that remains its biggest limitation. It leaves a lot to be desired. Especially the moments when the PM's want to add colors and make the exact replica designs, Balsamiq might not be the best thing to use. + The license fees for a tool which allows only this feels a bit on the higher side.

Ruth
  • Unternehmensgröße: 201–500 Mitarbeiter

Easy to use- Good for the price

Bewertet am 8.7.2019

I think is a very easy to use tool, allows you to quickly sketch something, allows me to create my mockups for any SW requirements on my job.

I like the fact that you can copy and paste picture of your current product into it and design over those pictures the new functionality.

Some of the wire-frame elements could have more "functionality" like selecting a button could call the next mock up,

Fabiana
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

One of the best tools to create wireframes

Bewertet am 15.10.2017

I love this tool because it's easy to use, to learn and has a lot of elements and capabilities to build awesome Mockups for desktop, tablets and smartphones. We use this tool for prototyping and wireframing. With it we can communicate with the client in a much better and clear way. We reduce the design and development times with the implementation of wireframes

The price, It's a little expensive, I have the desktop version and don't test the web app yet but also looks a little expensive to me in comparison with others apps.

Joel Isaac
Joel Isaac

The Mockup tool

Bewertet am 7.10.2019

As I said before, I started to use it a long time ago when I was a student I in my experience it is very useful and easy to use once you are familiarized with this. I'm not a designer but the fact that it is easy to use helps a lot in terms that even a no designer person can use it and have excellent results.

I've been using Balsamiq for years and it is very efficient when you have to make a mockup for a client Balsamiq helps you a lot to make it fast and efficient.

I started to use it as a student and when I tried to request a student license, it was very difficult to get it and I was never able to get it, I know this is not a big deal when you are a company but it should be easier to get a license for students so you can convince a company easier to buy it.

• Branche: Forschung
  • Weitere für Mehr als 1 Jahr genutzt

Simple and effective wireframing tool

Bewertet am 28.5.2019

Balsamiq is a great and straightforward wireframing tool that does the job really well.

The best thing about Balsamiq is that it is very easy to use, which means zero time spent on learning and training. There also many different elements that comply with the style guides of the major development platforms which makes your wireframes look closer to the final product. Linking the wireframes is very intuitive and easy to actually simulate the interaction with a simple click on a button. In addition, I liked the collaboration feature a lot as well as the integration with Drive. The export to PDF is definitely very useful to share the results with the others.

Nothing much is wrong with it, really. Text input and editing might sometimes be a bit sloppy. It also appears to become a bit slower when running in-browser.

Casen
  • Branche: Bildungsmanagement

Very Useful Software

Bewertet am 1.11.2018

For what it is, it is amazing. Very good software that needs to be supplemented with additional programs for further refinement. I highly recommend it.

It's incredibly Simple. I can generate a usable wireframe mock-up in just 10 or 15 minutes with the use of symbols and default options

It just doesn't quite go where I'd like it to go. It's not easy to refine designs and it has some unusual export options (misplaced alpha channels and such)