FreeAgent

Kavindu Githsara
  • Branche: E-Learning

Unlocking the Potential of FreeAgent

Bewertet am 10.2.2023

Overall, I would highly recommend FreeAgent to any company looking for a comprehensive, user-friendly solution for managing their finances and accounting needs. With its versatile feature set and user-friendly interface, it has been a great asset for our business.

As a user of FreeAgent in my company, I have found this software to be a versatile and robust solution for managing our finances and accounting needs. One of the biggest pros of FreeAgent is its user-friendly interface. The dashboard is well organized and easy to navigate, making it simple to stay on top of our financials and track expenses. Another advantage of FreeAgent is its robust feature set. The software includes invoicing, expense tracking, project management, and financial reporting capabilities, all in one package. This has greatly streamlined our financial management processes, reducing the need for multiple software solutions and saving us time and money.

One of the few cons of FreeAgent is that the software can be a bit slow at times, especially when navigating through complex financial data. Additionally, while the software includes a comprehensive set of financial reporting capabilities, it may not be as robust as some other accounting software solutions on the market.

Jane
  • Branche: Bildungsmanagement
  • Wöchentlich für 6-12 Monate genutzt

So much better than other bookkeeping and accounting products

Bewertet am 6.3.2023

Very positive and reliable. It's reassuring to know the accounts are in order.

Very positive and reliable. It's reassuring to know the accounts are in order.

It's straight forward, easy to set up and use. Everything you need to manage your accounts is in plain sight rather then you needing to know there is a completely different process somewhere else that actually needs to be completed. The processes are quick and easy to work out.

Nothing much to be honest. It would be better if it was easier to link to other programs that you use but this can be overcome with a bit of thought.

Xero und Zoho Invoice

Warum FreeAgent gewählt wurde

To use a more reliable and efficient product.

Zuvor genutzte Software

QuickBooks Online

Gründe für den Wechsel zu FreeAgent

Options, costs, connections and ease of use

Not the best software I've ever used.

Bewertet am 4.4.2018

I don't see any now.

I don't see any now.

It looks like it has a lot of features but it doesn't work in a logical way.
The tech support used to be available almost 24/7 but the quality and availability have shrunk down significantly.

This is the most frustrating of all of the accounting software that we reviewed. Everything (even mistakes) gets locked in and can't be edited or amended. There are so many basic functions that just don't work and all customer services do is give you complicated workarounds, most of which don't actually achieve the required outcome. The bank feeds often don't work and you have to log in daily to manually update them. The price is way to high and not good value. The software is not easy to use and what used to be great customer service is now a waste of your time and call tariff. To add insult to injury, they have just been bought over by a bank that has a terrible reputation for so many reasons and will tarnish the reputation of FreeAgent. I'd steer well clear of this software.

Caleb
  • Branche: Freizeit, Reisen & Tourismus

Accounting Simple & Affordable

Bewertet am 26.10.2022

Great experience, would definitely recommend to small businesses and freelancers!

It's very user friendly. It's great for freelancers or small businesses that do a lot of their own bookkeeping and accounting. It simplifies things in a way to make it easy.

The simplified software is great for basic transactions, but sometimes it would be better to have more customisation. There are fixed categories of expenses, so you can't create a custom one.

QuickBooks Time und Xero

Gründe für den Wechsel zu FreeAgent

It was recommended by my accountant, and I've really enjoyed using it.
Sam

Perfect for small businesses

Bewertet am 14.2.2023

Very good, makes sending invoices very easy. I do not use the bills section, so the budgeting and forecasting tools are not relevant to me, however this is no fault of freeagent

Very easy to use as it is an intuitive userface. Does everything I need as a small business, and can easily send information to the accountant at the end of the year.

The bank feed seems a bit tempermental at times.

Gründe für den Wechsel zu FreeAgent

Came free with Natwest bank account, but now I would not change to an alternative even though I pay
Simon
  • Monatlich für Mehr als 1 Jahr genutzt

Free for NatWest Business customers, very straightforward accounting software for small...

Bewertet am 15.4.2021

All positive - occasionally have to try and work out how to do something, but customer support are very good and responsive if you get really stuck. For someone who would struggle with the accounting side of running a child's piggy bank, FreeAgent is worth its weight in gold!

It basically does all the required accounting without having to pay for an accountant to do it for you. The biggest benefit when it comes to tracking business tax and completing a tax return as it pretty much does it all for you.

Sometimes it's tricky to work out how something works and you have to go and get help from customer support, but this may be more user incompetence than anything wrong with the software!

Warum FreeAgent gewählt wurde

I was getting to the point of needing to pay for some of the options (I honestly can't remember the name of the software used previously and don't want to put the wrong one in!)

Gründe für den Wechsel zu FreeAgent

NatWest provided the service free and it appeared to have everything needed.
Gavin
  • Branche: Sport
  • Unternehmensgröße: 51–200 Mitarbeiter

Using FreeAgent for club accounting

Bewertet am 19.2.2023

Learning the terminology that FreeAgent uses to a while, particularly as a Xero user in the workplace. For cost vs functionality it can’t be beaten

We receive free access to FreeAgent as part of our bank account package. It makes accounting for our club so much easier than the previous excel sheets

It’s not quite as good as Xero, but it’sa fraction of the price. For a non-profit it’s a winner

Gründe für den Wechsel zu FreeAgent

Ultimately cost, as a free to us package, it can’t be rivalled
  • Branche: Finanzdienstleistungen

Invaluable software

Bewertet am 16.11.2022

Very nervous at the start but great account manager and patient support team have been a massive help

Easy to use. Easy to find what I want. Brilliant support

There must be a downside but thankfully I have not found it yet

Emanuele
Emanuele
  • Unternehmensgröße: 51–200 Mitarbeiter

Overall

Bewertet am 19.2.2018

Overall experience is good. It allows to better organised both my bookeeping but as well my employee work due to its usability. Love as well the API integration that allow me to create custom analysis.

Too much focus on UK client. We are an Italian company and some of the functionality available for UK are really complex to achieve for us and required workaround.
Billing only in 1 currency is crazy, why do you have invoice in multiple currency but billing cannot be done? It should be a simple addition to make but it has been year that people asked for this and still not implementation.
Country specific payroll. Although I am aware it will be impossible to enable payroll for every country out of the box why don't allow customer to customized the payroll functionality to meet payroll requirements or add important deadline for taxing purpose.
Even the export functionality can be improve and should be added to every areas from timesheet to bill, from invoice to expense with filter that allow you to specify the data you want to export.
VAT calculation for Intrastat - due to the internationalisation of business should be easier to export only bill and invoice that are related to country outside your normal business area.
What about language package? Again if not possibile provide an LDK that allow client to customize the interface.

Anne
Anne
  • Branche: Umweltdienstleistungen
  • Wöchentlich für 1-5 Monate genutzt

Makes bookkeeping easy for a novice, and still keeps an accountant happy

Bewertet am 2.1.2018

Saves me a whole lot of time, and helps me keep clear records for my accountant.

At the moment it's free through my business banking account - I tried it because of this but it would definitely be worth paying for. I am relatively new to running a business and the software is very intuitive for a novice. My accountant is pretty happy with it too, so that's a big thumbs up!

It makes invoicing and payment of exenses very easy, and is great for keeping track of money coming in/out and keeping an eye on invoices due for payment.

Payroll is incorporated (you can file it with HMRC through FreeAgent or let your accountant do it separately).

I also like the fact that it reminds me when my corporation tax and annual accounts are due.

In a few clicks I can see my profit & loss account and my trial balance as well as spend in the different (customisable) categories. Really helps me keep on top of everything.

The Android app is also great for reconciling payments and recording expenses on the move.

The help files are fantastic, and the clear accounting descriptions and explanations make them a great resource for a small business even if you don't use the software.

Exporting information is a bit tricky in some areas - you can get a pdf out quite easily but an xls or csv would be more useful (you can export the entire company dataset as a csv, but not filtered individual elements such as unpaid expenses or balances within individual accounts). In some cases you can get round this by cutting and pasting, but it's a bit fiddly.

Exporting all company data does not export attachments - so you need to keep a separate copy of scanned receipts etc outside FreeAgent.

It is one of the more expensive cloud accounting software packages out there, but I have looked at a whole range and you can't beat the functionality, so that's what you are paying for I guess!

Hi Anne,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. It's great to hear about the features you like using and we really appreciate your positive feedback.

I'm also pleased to say that we are currently working on improving our exporting data feature, which will be released very soon.

Thanks again for using FreeAgent, we really appreciate it!

All the best,

• Branche: Maschinenbau oder Wirtschaftsingenieurwesen

Great accounting software

Bewertet am 20.11.2018

Very clean app gives good insights from the overview page.

Very clean app gives good insights from the overview page.

It's just so easy to use. We run our plumbing business with this app and it integrates well with Commusoft our field service management software reducing time spent double entering information and doing tasks like invoicing. Now we invoice and complete the job in Commusoft and it pushes al the relevant information to Freeagent.

It only does CIS one way. As we have grown from a subcontractor into a contractor that now employs subcontractors we need a simple way to process CIS invoices from our SC's

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear how you and your business use FreeAgent. Thanks for the feedback about CIS too, we've passed it along to our product team.

• Branche: Unterhaltung

Will Look After You Through the Months

Bewertet am 12.1.2023

The software is easy to use, and once you understand it very powerful. It makes submitting your tax return very, very easy. I like how it can take you from being self-employed to being a LTD company. The way that it recognises some transactions and automatically categories them is great too.

There are two things I don't like about the software. There isn't an easy way to record simplified expenses. You have to add them manually, which isn't ideal for how it should work. The second is that if someone pays by card, it doesn't carry all the info from FreeAgent to Stripe. For example, email address so they get a card receipt instantly.

Mandie
Mandie
  • Branche: Krankenhausversorgung & Gesundheitswesen

Perfect Companion for Accounting

Bewertet am 31.8.2015

I was introduced to Freeagent by my accountant, Balance Accountants. My business needs are met very easily with Freeagent, I have a small company which is Residential Care and Home Care business. The cloud base system allows my accountant to access my work and I'm able to have meetings with bank managers etc without having to lug lots of paperwork about, everything is at my fingertips. Also im based in the South and my business and accountant are in the North, so logistically it works very well for me. The system I have found very easy to use and if I have ever got stuck, my accountant can sign in and talk me through it. Once you get yourself set up and familiarised, you won't believe how much simpler accounting gets. I use for all bookkeeping and invoicing. I would use it for payroll but hey....my payroll lady would be out of a job! But I reckon she uses it as she's always smiling never stressed.

Live bank feeds, easy to use, perfect for invoicing, accounting for small businesses, keeping the accountant and bank manager happy with the efficiency! It does everything (for me and my business needs) apart from making me coffee :-) Always a pleasure using freeagent, it's really fun to use!

Ive been using it for nearly two years....
Can't fault it!

Not sure if I could add a further business to the platform, for example: using same login details but be able to switch between businesses?? That would be really good.

Flavio
Flavio
  • Branche: Design
  • Unternehmensgröße: 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Great accounting software for freelancers and small teams

Bewertet am 25.9.2019

Having researched a number of different options while freelancing, FreeAgent was hands down the best one for a solo practitioner, with enough features to solve all my accounting needs.

Perfect for freelancers and small teams, FreeAgent includes all the aspects needed to control accounts, create / send invoices and keep an eye on projects. Highly recommended for any solo practitioners.

If you plan to grow and scale your team, it can be a bit limiting, however it is still a great tool for smaller teams and individuals.

Hi Flavio,

Thank you so much for sharing your positive review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate it!

• Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

Might not be the best choice from my perspective

Bewertet am 20.3.2018

We use it where I work as a way to track work hours. Usage is pretty simple and the features are sufficient. If you need to track time precisely, there's a nice start/stop function, and if you don't, there are means to insert a whole week in a row. If you're a developer, you'll appreciate the APIs that allow building customized reports for accounting.

If you don't need precise time tracking, but need to split hours on different activities, data entering becomes pretty slow. You can generate monthly reports to check what to expect from the paycheck, but checking if you made mistakes in the data entry is as difficult as it is entering it.

Hi there,

Thank you for reviewing FreeAgent. We're glad to hear you found our time tracking features helpful. Regarding the aspects you found frustrating, we appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and we've shared it with our product team.

All the best,

Sarah
Sarah

Love it

Bewertet am 8.2.2018

Exceptionally easy to use and easy to learn. I keep the tab open every day. It's easy to "undo" if you make a mistake in an invoice. There's basically nothing that can't be undone by reverting to draft. The recurring invoices tool is really helpful. I don't use the feature where it'll email invoices/reminders. I prefer to do that myself and it's really easy — nothing to really keep track of since I invoice all clients on the same day each month. They make it easy to label bank transactions so as long as I remember to do that once a month or so, all my accounting reports are always current. I don't have to spend too much time on accounting and I don't really have any complaints. The customer service is always fantastic.

I wish the time tracking feature were just a little slicker. I use Toggl for time tracking, and then I import hours for each client each month. Not a big deal, but one of those little things that would put it over the top.

• Branche: Fotografie
  • Unternehmensgröße: Selbstständig

The only accounting software I would use

Bewertet am 10.10.2018

I use Freeagent to run my entire business- to invoice and to monitor missing payments, to file both my tax and vat returns, its an incredible tool for my business

Great customer support- all from trained accountants in the UK that are able to walk you through any problems you might encounter when doing you tax and vat returns

None- inpeciable and consistent service at all times.

Hi there,

Thank you for the kind words and your positive review, we really appreciate it!

The FreeAgent Team

Great when everything is simple and goes smoothly, difficult to customise or correct

Bewertet am 9.2.2018

the mobile app is great for tracking time or updating expenses while on the road
Like the time reporting features to report by contact or project
Tax Timeline also really helpful for getting a quick understand of what's owed

It's difficult to make corrections on invoices, especially if an expense or time item is labeled wrong, requires deleting/creating a new invoice rather than being able to unlock the items associated with it and fix them.
Layout options for invoices are very limiting unless you create your own CSS file.
Can't change account type without contacting admin - ie I mistakenly set up as a sole trader instead of private ltd company and says I have to contact customer service to change it.

Jonathan
Jonathan
  • Branche: Freizeit, Reisen & Tourismus

FreeAgent - Great and Gets Better

Bewertet am 12.2.2018

FreeAgent is a fantastic product. I have only needed to use support a couple of times and they were more unusual questions.

As a freelancer, keeping an eye on income and expenditure, billing and chasing invoices and recording expenses with my phone is really important. Add to that the easy submission of my tax return and it really is a great piece of software.

I am a little disappointed that I could not receive any of the discounts offered to new customers. (e.g. 6 months half price).

John 'Hedge'
John 'Hedge'

Great, powerful,

Bewertet am 11.1.2018

FreeAgent is one of those programs that integrates all sorts of difficult tasks into one single multi-use product. We specifically use it for payroll, invoicing and accountancy and find the integrated approach saves time and helps us quickly track accountancy errors and oversights.

The live link to the bank account statements is often glitchy and can cause a headache for those trying to account for every transaction.

Hi John,

Thank you for sharing your review of FreeAgent. It was great to hear about the features you find most beneficial for your business. We also appreciate you highlighting the glitches you experience with links to bank account statements, we've shared that feedback with the product team.

Thanks again!

• Branche: Internet
  • Unternehmensgröße: 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Allows me to manage the business effectively

Bewertet am 27.11.2018

FreeAgent allows me to see at a glance what we are owed, who the biggest culprits are and to automatically send out overdue reminders. So much easier than chasing on the phone.

FreeAgent has enabled me to free up so much of my time because i can schedule and manage invoices individually or on repeat. Also helps when preparing tax and vat returns.

The function to connect credit card accounts does not always work that well but i think we have cracked it.

Hi John,

Thank you for taking the time to share your review, we really appreciate it! If you experience any additional issues with connecting your account, please let us know at support@freeagent.com as our support team is always happy to help.

Tom
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 1 Jahr genutzt

Easy to use accounting software and a great mobile app

Bewertet am 21.2.2018

I found FreeAgent easier to get my head around than other accounting software, both desktop and cloud, that I'd used in the past. I did have to call support a couple of times but I got straight through and they were a pleasure to deal with and sorted all my issues impressively well.

FreeAgent is great in January when I can file my tax return directly to HMRC. The form is also filled with data I've entered throughout the year so self assessment time is pretty hassle free, which s unusual for a freelancer. I've just started using the mobile app and find that this is really is good too. I can take care of all the day-to-day stuff, like explaining bank transactions and entering mileage, when I'm out and about on business to stop it mounting up.

The mobile app is really great, but doesn't yet have the same in-depth functionality as the desktop app.

Ryan

Excellent Software Which Makes My Life Easier

Bewertet am 27.9.2022

The software has all the features I need to run my business. It has helped me save so much time preparing self assessment filings.

The support documentation does contain some out of date screenshots and instructions.

• Branche: Internet
  • Unternehmensgröße: 2–10 Mitarbeiter

Keeps me informed and saves time and money

Bewertet am 8.2.2018

It allows me to keep on top of the financial position of my company allowing me to make decisions with up to date knowledge. Compared to my peers who don't use the software I am saving time and money doing my accounting.

The mobile app is not as feature rich and some of the functionality that it does have does not share the same options as the web version e.g. split transactions

Jamie
  • Wöchentlich für Mehr als 2 Jahre genutzt

The perfect accounting software for freelancers

Bewertet am 27.3.2018

It's an incredibly easy to use all-in-one accounting solution that's built for freelancers, all the way up to large businesses. Creating and managing invoices is very easy and you can even sync it up to your bank account. Whilst many of the more advanced accounting features go unused by myself I can clearly see the value in them for others.

It's not the cheapest solution if you're just creating a few invoices each month but for any typical independent professional it's a great solution. I can't think of any real cons to this product.